Floating combat text

"
xendhaius escreveu:
"
rpgmaniac escreveu:
Charan ~.~ floating dmg text it's something u expect to see on a mmorpg D1&2 didn't have anything like that so why u suddenly find the idea attractive? isn't it better if GGG add various different killing animations for crits depending what wpn/spell/skill u were using when the crit occur? we just need dmg logs on chat window that is enough, if GGG ad floating dmg text the game will surely start to look like something else, and I dont want that to happen, PoE as it is have a retro character dont spoil it with mainstream bullshits.

You are being completely ignorant and arrogant on the matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcUyZ-nKGcM

Titan Quest has Floating Damage Text, which can be turned on or off based on what you enjoy. The fact it has them does not make it any less of what it is, an ARPG.

Putting FDT in Path of Exile is not going to magically turn it from being an ARPG into a MMORPG or any other genre for that matter. The shear thought of such is absurd.

The fact remains, they are asking for a toggle-able option. In which case, if implemented you are arguing against a feature that does not effect you. If you don't want to see FDT, turn it off.

The fact you are even arguing against it is doing nothing but make you look like an imbecile.

I see that video and I can't figure out what those floating numbers are doing there.

I guess people like numbers.
"
xxnoob escreveu:
I don't play at all.

Noted.

Whiteboy: I saw a few devs mention they'd tried it in earlier builds and found it cluttered, but I still argue an option for it wouldn't do any harm. Actually, I think I've put my argument for it about as clearly as necessary and possible.

rpgmaniac: the MMOs I played did not have floating text; they had damage/combat chat logs. Eq1 and DAoC. So I couldn't disagree with you more. Floating numbers are a product, as I have said, of early JRPGs and later some ARPGs. Borderlands had them too, and used them to very great effect.

I'm tired of repeating myself, especially when I feel I've been very clear and precise. Option: off, crits, full. Simple.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Just because my ranger is only level 5 doesn't mean my arguments are not valid.
Floating combat text(FCT) is something that a lot of people 1. enjoy and 2. expect from a game in this genre. There are also definitely people who don't like it, and would never choose to have it enabled.

However, we're trying to appeal to as wide a community as possible, so it's quite likely that POE will eventually have three different options for FCT. The first would be the default, which is "Off". The second would be a version that merely shows your critical hits as FCT, possibly with the additional note of "Critical". The third option would be complete FCT, that shows all damage dealt, as well as misses and blocks.

There are valid arguments for all three types of FCT, so we'll try to arrive at something that pleases the most people. Hope that makes you guys happy!
Just adding to the bunch of people who don't like FCT. When I kill stuff I don't want to see numbers flying across my screen; I want to see blood.
"
BrianWeissman escreveu:
Floating combat text(FCT) is something that a lot of people 1. enjoy and 2. expect from a game in this genre. There are also definitely people who don't like it, and would never choose to have it enabled.

However, we're trying to appeal to as wide a community as possible, so it's quite likely that POE will eventually have three different options for FCT. The first would be the default, which is "Off". The second would be a version that merely shows your critical hits as FCT, possibly with the additional note of "Critical". The third option would be complete FCT, that shows all damage dealt, as well as misses and blocks.

There are valid arguments for all three types of FCT, so we'll try to arrive at something that pleases the most people. Hope that makes you guys happy!

...You totally stole my idea! (not as if it wasn't the most logical and well-established offering.)

Thanks for the input, Brian. As ever, you guys rock.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Charanjaydemyr escreveu:
rpgmaniac: the MMOs I played did not have floating text; they had damage/combat chat logs. Eq1 and DAoC. So I couldn't disagree with you more. Floating numbers are a product, as I have said, of early JRPGs and later some ARPGs. Borderlands had them too, and used them to very great effect.

Ofc u haven't see FCT in the games u mention, and the reason is that those games r way too old.

Probably u haven't play any Korean MMORPG that's why u dont know that almost all the K-MMORPG out there have FCT, it's something standard on those games, the most recent ones r Aion & Tera & also one that haven't released yet, Blade & Soul.

Me personally I am not used to see such things on a Diablo-style dark action RPG, if GGG decide that it's something this game needs I cant do anything about it but I dont like it and I would prefer if it stay out of PoE.
Oh, they're TOO OLD so they don't count in terms of 'what I would expect to see in an MMO'? You said 'something you expect to see', meaning *me* -- if you meant 'you', you should have said 'I'. You spoke not just for yourself but for others, and even me. Of course I'm going to disagree with such an arrogant move.

I played Lineage 2 quite a bit, actually. I don't recall floating text, but then again it certainly wasn't something I would recall as stand-out.

Either way, Brian's spoken and, oh look, I was pretty close to right.

Sorry.

On the other hand, if 'FCT' is in, the default option will be 'off', so you should be happy about that.

Win-win. Now please stop nit-picking fights with someone who agrees with you in a broader sense.

"
BrianWeissman escreveu:

Yes, that's the best solution.
"It's a harsh, difficult world. You have to be prepared for it. We're not babying the players."
- Chris Wilson - Producer, Lead Designer @ Grinding Gear Games
"
BrianWeissman escreveu:

Even so, i think it would be harmful to the image of PoE as Whiteboy said, which is quite obvious and valid.

It just won't fit with the atmosphere of PoE let alone like it or not, this should be taken into account in the first place.

And secondly, always prefer GGG spending their precious time for much more valuable thing over this MMO crap, anytime.

This is just one of the least necessary feature it ever would be.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional