Forum troll behavior explained...

I think maybe trolling means different things to different people. Not all trolls are about making people miserable, some trolls can provide people with great enjoyment. Just depends on the troll.
"
MonstaMunch escreveu:
Not all trolls are about making people miserable, some trolls can provide people with great enjoyment.
I attribute that to second-hand schadenfreude.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Última edição por ScrotieMcB em 12 de fev de 2014 02:49:27
Trolling= Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.?

But for what purpose?

A troll can send a message, he can help others go to a direction. The question is what direction?

If the purpose is good = you can't define trolling by simply being sadistic!
Selling logs: /view-thread/782113(very high speed)
Rhys epic times : view-thread/780247
Saying trolling is simply sadistic
is equally intelligent as
saying locking threads is simply sadistic.
Selling logs: /view-thread/782113(very high speed)
Rhys epic times : view-thread/780247
"
ScrotieMcB escreveu:
"
MonstaMunch escreveu:
Not all trolls are about making people miserable, some trolls can provide people with great enjoyment.
I attribute that to second-hand schadenfreude.

Nono, I mean, sometimes even being trolled can be a lot of fun. Imagine if something was very boring and someone trolled you into thinking it was something exciting, you would end up excited instead of bored. That wouldn't be sadistic on the part of the troll.
"
Charanjaydemyr escreveu:
I agree to a large degree that one needs to be a true sadist to enjoy 'trolling' that just ruins things for others.

I am definitely not that, and never will be, which is why I reject the label 'troll' just because I like to tease things occasionally and REALLY can't stand idiots who think they're anything but.

I believe a troll wants to ruin others' fun just for that reason. I find it abhorrent behaviour.

i dunno, BMBI is a troll basically and he seems pretty normal to me,

i really dont mind "trolls" at all as long as they're funny and inventive, it only ruins fun when its not one of those 2 things.

When its some 13 year old moron making posts trying to get people angry then laughing alone in his room cause he managed to make a few people from the other side of the world hate his guts, then yeah thats pretty sadistic and ridiculous
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
"
Charanjaydemyr escreveu:

I believe a troll wants to ruin others' fun just for that reason. I find it abhorrent behaviour.

I remember reading an article about ganking a few years ago where a psychology professor (and gamer in his free time) speculated -based on his experiences- that it takes a very peculiar mindset to enjoy ganking others (the 'Dark Tetrad'/'Dark Triad' the article mentions).
In his words (as close as I can remember them), there are the "psychologically unremarkable" people who sometimes engage in ganking - but they do so because they have a temporary cause. For example, they are angry because of something that happened outside of the game, and want to blow off steam. They feel miserable, and they want to "share the feeling" in a crab-bucket kind of way: If I make others miserable, I am alleviating my own misery.
But then there are people who genuinely derive pleasure from torturing and/or manipulating others, often in conjunction with getting attention from an audience. And they seem to gravitate to certain kinds of gaming activities and settings. Such as ganking in an OpenPvP setting. Or trolling fora, as it seems.

That reminds me: A few years back, there were a lot of "apologists" in games and on fora I frequented that excused such behaviour with the statement that "this is not real world, people behave differently in games".
They seemed to genuinely believe that personality structure was so malleable that it was absolutely influenced (to the point of 180° reversals) by your surroundings and current situation.

I think that games and the internet in particular have an dis-inhibiting effect on many people that accentuates personality traits - they do not change, but are more visible.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Última edição por Avireyn em 12 de fev de 2014 08:55:59
Have it all wrong, it's like having treat throwing it into a pack of dogs and watch them tear themselves apart. I'm not that evil in all honesty :)
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Some guy has a more interesting video here on the issue of internet trolling, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
ITT I learned sadism has a much harsher meaning than I originally believed.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional