DarnDoesFireTrap - Pocket Discharge - HC/SC #3 One Week Build -- Insane Clear Speed - UPDATED

I decided to give this build a dry run before 1.1 and this variation of your build worked wonderfully in my testing. It uses Searing Bond instead of Fire Trap for most of the game since they share a lot of the same passives, and then spec over into Fire Trap after you have the mana pool to run it without problems. Darni, I hope you don't mind that I'm posting my own version of your build in your thread.

The Skills (supports are listed in order of importance)
Spoiler
Searing Bond-Increased Burning Damage-Totem Resistance

Fire Trap-Chance to Ignite-Increased Burning Damage-Elemental Proliferation-Concentrated Effect-Fire Penetration

Clarity-Purity of Elements-Discipline-Reduced Mana (you won’t run all 3 at the same time)

Cast When Damage Taken (level 1)/Cast When Stunned-Enduring Cry (lvl 5)-
Enfeeble(lvl 5)-Decoy Totem (level 8)

Flammability

Lightning Warp-Reduced Duration-Faster Casting

Important things to know about skills:
Spoiler
Don’t use Decoy Totem in your trigger cast chain if Searing Bond is still your attack skill.
We won’t get Cast When Damage Taken as a support from quests, so use Cast When Stunned until you can afford to buy one.

I’m not an advocate of remote mine on Searing Bond. There are times in game progression where you’ll want to put the totem in the middle of a pack instead of yourself, and there’s no shame in that.

Auras are used selectively. Normally you’ll want Discipline alone or with Clarity. Use Purity of Elements on elemental weakness maps, and drop Clarity or Discipline. At all times keep enough mana in your pool to cast your main skill 2-3 times in a row. Until you have Eldritch Battery, just use Clarity and mana flasks to keep that mana bulb up.

You’ll use Searing Bond for low levels, and potentially high levels unless you have a 5L suitable for Fire Trap. The Searing Touch is ideal for that, but it could be a while until you can afford one. Searing Bond is good for Piety running, so do that until you can afford a Searing Touch. Even a 4L Searing Touch is probably superior to other 5L options.

There are a few skills we won’t take as rewards: Fire Trap, Clarity, Enduring Cry, Reduced Duration and Cast When Damage Taken. You can get Fire Trap and Clarity by rushing a shadow past Brutus. We do get the option for Clarity as a reward, but it’s so late in the game by the time we get it that it’s not all that useful any more. Enduring Cry should only cost you an alch and Cast When Damage Taken and Reduced Duration are more quality of life than essential.

Important things to know about gear
Spoiler
For Searing Bond, you need nothing. OK, that’s not totally true, but 100% of what you need you’ll get through drops or quest rewards. Early on look for any wand with two linked red sockets. It doesn’t need more than that. Later you’ll want a wand linked RRB. Make sure to check vendors every time you level up (both for chromatics, 4Ls and 5Ls and for wands with the right links). Early vendors are more likely to have the colors you want because of the lower INT requirements on their gear. Once you have a wand with suitable links, use the vendor recipe to give it +1 Fire Gems: a magic wand (you may need to transmute the wand you found) a ruby ring (craftable with a red skill gem and iron ring) and an alteration orb.

Use a shield with lots of resists (ceremonial/angelic/archon kite shields are best) since we don’t block, thorns suck, pure strength shields have that awful movement penalty, and spell damage does nothing for Searing Bond. Once Fire Trap starts becoming the main DPS skill, a pure ES shield with good spell damage is a good option too (assuming you're not using The Searing Touch).

You’ll likely need a small amount of +dexterity and +strength on gear to level your fire trap and red gems as you go. It’s not a hard mod to find, however. You can also take dexterity/strength passives and spec back out of them later.

Other than that, stack resists/life/item rarity and quantity (uniques and standard league) everywhere you can.

Skill Tree Progression
Spoiler
20 Points
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVsfAjLRNsU22EVHRtddxodliBuLjJwtpwi1BLiT2CThc-xV7SDvhQ==

40 Points
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVsQzBJpFxwfAij6MtE2xTbYQYdFR0bXXcZxeXsggseHZYgbiPGLjJwtna6nCKeUtQS3PriTxq7R_dgk4XPnY-vu7FXtIO-F-JP56P4K_oc=

60 Points
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVsQzBJpFSAXHB8CJa8o-imlKk0s6TLRNZI2xTbYPydBh0VHRtdKfUrITipbr1wMXcZnoG6qcXl7IILHh2WHdogbiPGLjJwtna6nCKeUrFm1BLXytz64k8au0f3UFdgk3Q3hc-dj6-7sVe0g74X4k_no_MX-Cv6H

80 Points-Searing Bond
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVsQzBJpFSAXHBjbHwIlryj6KaUqTSycLOktHzLRNZI2xTbYPAU9Xz8nQYdFR0bXSRtKfUrITipSU1KvVa5br1wMXcZnoG0ZbqpxeXsggh6Cx4dlh3aIG4jxi4yPppeVl_ScLZ2un9-nCKeUrFmtSq-3tQS18rc-uJPB88auzSbR_dQV2CTbC90N4XPnY-vu7FXtIO-F-JP56PzF_gr-hw==

At this point, Fire Traps can be sustained pretty easily with mana. Use it in any 4 link that’s not a weapon since you’ll want to keep Searing Bond in that +Fire Gems wand. Searing Bond will be your main damage dealer but Fire Traps will do marvels in tightly packed groups, in narrow corridors and small rooms.

80 Points- Fire Trap
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVsSaRUgFxwY2x8CKPoppSpNLJws6S0fMtE1kjbFNtg8BT1fPydBh0VHRZ1G10kbSn1KyE4qUlNSr1WuW69dxmegbRluqnF5doJ6qoIegseHZYd2iBuIQojxi4yPppeVl_Sa4Jwtna6f36cIrFmtSq-3tNG1BLXytz64k8HFwfPIDM0m2CTbC90N4XPnY-vu7BjsVe0g73zvhfno_MX-Cg==

If you have a great fire trap 5L and you’re sick of Searing Bond, this is the spec you’ll want to take. Searing Bond will still be good, but you’ll be prioritizing your Fire Traps with these passives. It’ll cost you 10 respec points to do this.

100 Points
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEswVbBncSaRRNFSAXHBjbHwIkPCj6KaUqTSycLOktHzIYMtE1kjbFNtg64TwFPV8_J0GHRUdFnUbXSRtJUUp9SshN404qUlNSr1MxVa5br13GZ6BtGW6qcXl2gnqqgh6Cx4M4h2WHdogbiEKI8YuMj6aP-peVl_Sa4Jwtna6f36IAplem56cIp1ysWa1Kr7e00bUEtfK3PriTwcXB88gMzSbYJNsL2-fdDeFz52Pr7uwY7FXtIO9874XwH_JF-ej8xf4K_o8=

If you didn’t take the ‘Fire Trap’ focused path at 80 passive points, you’ll need to use 10 respec points to transition whenever you’re ready to focus more on your traps and less on your Searing Bond. You’ll put Decoy Totem into your Cast When Damage Taken/Cast When Stunned chain when you do make that transition. Even if you only have a 4L for Fire Trap, it’s still normally a better option than Searing Bond long before you hit level 80. Past 100 passive points just take as much life as you can. You've got 4 8% nodes immediately available and another 4 8% nodes only one node away.

Important Things to Know about Quest Rewards and Levelling
Spoiler
You won’t be able to use Searing Bond until level 24 at the soonest (and you may be a higher level than that when you get it as a quest reward). Use Fireball and Fire Trap in the early levels, or go melee if you get awesome melee weapon drops.

Why Concentrated Effect over Cast When Damage Taken? Because we don't level Cast When Damage Taken, so taking Concentrated Effect gives us longer to level it while we save for a CWDT. If you're on hard core, it might make more sense to take CWDT instead, depending on your gear.

For bandit rewards, side with Oak on normal and kill everyone in cruel and merciless

These are the quest rewards you’ll want to take (unlisted quests take whatever you want):

Mercy Mission (Normal)-Fireball
Breaking Some Eggs (Normal)-Decoy Totem
Intruders in Black (Normal)-Flammability
Sharp and Cruel (Normal)-Chance to Ignite
Lost in Love (Normal)-Searing Bond
Sever the Right Hand (Normal)-Fire Penetration
A Fixture of Fate (Normal)-Cast When Stunned

Enemy At the Gate (Cruel)-Discipline
Mercy Mission (Cruel)-Increased Burning Damage
The Caged Brute (Cruel)-Purity of Elements
The Siren’s Cadence (Cruel)-Totem Elemental Resists
Sharp and Cruel (Cruel)-Reduced Mana
A Fixture of Fate (Cruel)-Elemental Proliferation

The Siren’s Cadence (Merciless)-Faster Casting
A Fixture of Fate (Merciless)-Concentrated Effect
Última edição por Desert_Elk em 24 de fev de 2014 13:01:36
Damage over time passives will increase my dps/burning damage?
because you said that we should take armor/life nodes instead of dot
"
kanon1 escreveu:
Damage over time passives will increase my dps/burning damage?
because you said that we should take armor/life nodes instead of dot

theres not much different between taking and not tanking those DoT nodes. Things will just die so fast :) so to take more armor/life to increase the survivability makes sense :D

those DoT nodes will increase your burning damage

I rushed for burning nodes then go down to the life circle, after that i picked the AoE nodes then rush for IR. Then things will be super simple as I run pass things and they'll just die in a second or 2

Im not sure how this build gonna work in high map or 6m group, still theres alot of testing to do :|
I had my doubts when I started this build, but now that I'm into Cruel and have all the gems I need, I now see how effective this is. The content has become absolutely trivial to clear. Zero skill involved, zero effort. I like it.

I would hesitate to call this a "cheap" build, though. Quality gems can cost an exalt, and the Windscreams cost about 5-10c. And because of the growing popularity of this build, Searing Touch staffs are going up in price a lot (every time I see a low priced ST in poe.xyz, it's always sold by the time I pm the seller). A 5 socket will cost several exalt, even unlinked.

I consider a cheap build to be something you can put together mainly through found gear, with maybe only one core end game item that costs about an exalt. This whole thing, to do properly (quality gems, well rolled Windscreams, and a high ilevel Searing Touch), will run you about 5 exalt, easily. Yes, it's no Koam's Heart or Shavronne's Wrappings, but it is still out of reach of poor players, and might be hard to put together at the start of the new league. I just think it's worth mentioning the total cost of the build in the original post.
People wondering about high level content ie 77-78 maps. Mobs melt as if it was a 66 map. Piety is something I wouldnt touch with this build. Dominus and rest of the bosses are more than doable. I havent checked this thread in a while due to taking a break till the new leagues start. Just stopped by saying thanks to the people whom answered some questions for my behalf.

"
flounder escreveu:
I had my doubts when I started this build, but now that I'm into Cruel and have all the gems I need, I now see how effective this is. The content has become absolutely trivial to clear. Zero skill involved, zero effort. I like it.

I would hesitate to call this a "cheap" build, though. Quality gems can cost an exalt, and the Windscreams cost about 5-10c. And because of the growing popularity of this build, Searing Touch staffs are going up in price a lot (every time I see a low priced ST in poe.xyz, it's always sold by the time I pm the seller). A 5 socket will cost several exalt, even unlinked.

I consider a cheap build to be something you can put together mainly through found gear, with maybe only one core end game item that costs about an exalt. This whole thing, to do properly (quality gems, well rolled Windscreams, and a high ilevel Searing Touch), will run you about 5 exalt, easily. Yes, it's no Koam's Heart or Shavronne's Wrappings, but it is still out of reach of poor players, and might be hard to put together at the start of the new league. I just think it's worth mentioning the total cost of the build in the original post.

Well, you really need only a 4L searing touch, maybe a Q firetrap to be able to clear low level maps and build your wealth. I started this build from a scratch and slowly upgraded my gear till I reached a point I felt it was finished.
Okay I've played around with this a lot more, and you are not kidding, the clear speed is phenomenal. I don't understand the mechanics, though. I put down the trap, and the flamability curse, then mobs melt. But why are they melting so fast? The dps tooltip says 500, but it's obviously doing way more than that. Can someone explain to a noob what this build is actually doing?

"
Darni escreveu:
Well, you really need only a 4L searing touch, maybe a Q firetrap to be able to clear low level maps and build your wealth. I started this build from a scratch and slowly upgraded my gear till I reached a point I felt it was finished.

I was actually able to get a 4L ST kind of cheap, and to clear most content I realize that I don't need double curse, or even one curse usually (so the Windscreams can wait until late game, further reducing the build's cost). I'm still a noob at this game, and I was confused about what was core on this build and what was luxury. You are correct, this build is very cheap in relation to it's effectiveness.

What I especially like about it is that I can play it on my shitty laptop and farm huge packs in relative safety even with my low fps. I should really thank you for posting this build. So many of builds I have both borrowed and created have under-performed, but this build is just faceroll. I might actually enjoy end game now!
Última edição por flounder em 26 de fev de 2014 03:35:34
Can I use that build for MF? I never had a MF char, but I think you need an gear independent build and this build is imo gear independent. Could I link culling strike with fire trap and go for MF gear? I don't know if this would be viable, or if I should start another MF char.
"
niratschi escreveu:
Can I use that build for MF? I never had a MF char, but I think you need an gear independent build and this build is imo gear independent. Could I link culling strike with fire trap and go for MF gear? I don't know if this would be viable, or if I should start another MF char.

Drop either dps or life nodes, get resist nodes. MF build is a go.
34 Hours in and this build has been the most fun i had in a long time.

Just curious if there should be any improvement in my gear(excluding not having a 6l D;)

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional