What the heck is going on?

So what in the heck is going on in this game lore-wise? I understand each character's back story more or less, I understand what Wraeclast is and what Oriath is. But who is Piety and why do I care? All i know is she has lots of cockroach looking dudes backing her in the ruins of an old city and is corrupting gems to put in people and make them somehow stronger but subject to her.

Considering the back stories of the 6 classes, I would imagine only the Templar and possibly the Ranger would have the motivation to stop this just for it's own sake, but the Witch, the Duelist, the Shadow, and the Marauder, the four of them seem so morally self-serving that I can't imagine why they would care what Piety's doing. I can't seem to find lore anywhere else on the web. Anyone know what's going on, or perhaps if more lore/story will be added to the game when it's fully released?

Just curious, thanks. To me it helps to play the game when you understand what the heck is happening.
I am equally confused by the story.
I didn't care about the story and went on slaughtering.
I am a warrior I was born to fight, Death is my brother. My brother is coming for you.
Wait, did you see all those bodies? she is SUPER EVIL. what more do you need, or do you sympathize with 20 feet high piles of bodies? think of the last place/time(likeWW2) you saw real videos showing death on that scale. As far as im concerned that looks like CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY, and without a proper wartime tribunal well i guess you gotta be JUDGE and Executioner.
Piety killed your brother and mother on the orders of Dominus. They also got you fired from your job and often, unbeknownst to you, pee in your beer.
"
Semptimilius escreveu:
Piety killed your brother and mother on the orders of Dominus. They also got you fired from your job and often, unbeknownst to you, pee in your beer.

considering 6 characters thats a lot of brother mother killing and beer peeing, she must be quite dedicated person
From what I could gather:

Spoiler
Banishment to Wreaclast is a long standing practice from Oriath, even before Dominus and his lapdogs (Piety and Gravicius most significantly) took an interest in Sarn.

"A few full moons ago", Dominus, his Blackguard, along with the mentioned lap dogs arrive at Sarn, set up camp near the Lunaris Temple and the Scepter of God. Gravicius sets up shop as the commander of the Blackguard and provides protection and "supplies" for Piety and Dominus.

Piety seems to have "issues" with mortality and experimentation with "Virtue Gems" (or skill gems as we know them), she literally starts to murder the denizens of Wreaclast by the hundreds, continuing the work of Savaronne and Maligaro, both seemingly Eternal Empire "scholars" who were trying to escape mortality via implantation of Virtue Gems. The results - horrific mutations. There seems to be mild suggestion that Piety actually shares Maligaro's plight - she is dying/sick or just scared of death and is looking to avoid it (Some dialogues suggest that she is plagued by "constant imperfection" in what she is trying to accomplish).

Dominus on the other hand studies something completely different - on top of the Scepter of God, he finds a way to achieve divinity (see Open Beta trailer - "Today, I ascend to Godhood. And your death shall pave the way" (quoting form memory). He seems to need powerful souls to achieve that, in fact he seems to suggest that one of the points of him exiling Oriathians and Kaurii by the dozens is to find strong individuals he can sacrifice ("You have endured hardships, anguish... Share them with me." again, not a direct quote from the OB trailer)

The player character is banished months into this process - Piety has already slaughtered enough Oriath/Wreaclast inhabitants that the bottom of the Lunaris temple is literally overflowed with blood and flesh. Dominus' plan seems almost ready. The player carves his way through Wraeclast, at first trying to secure safety for themselves/the Lioneye's Watch dwellers, then the jungle ones (where Helena suggests that if Piety/Dominus is not stopped, everyone is screwed), finally arrives at Sarn and through either vengeance, the Kaurii desire to kick ass or nobler means, goes after the architects of their own and others suffering - Gravicius dies first, followed by Piety and, presumably, Dominus once Act 3.5 is in.

There is more to this - The fact that events like this seem to have transpired at least twice in the same place (first with the Vaal, then the Eternal Empire), the fate of the Ezomites, the role of the Gemling Queen in all of this... But from the exiles perspective, the reason for going forward seems to be survival, turned into survival/vengeance/noble ideals against an overwhelmingly evil force trying to use fores that clearly are unpure and "evil" to their own ends, possibly brinigng about yet another Cataclysm to the area.
Última edição por jamnik_pucek em 11 de fev de 2013 01:36:36
This is the only way I can explain some of Piety's behaviour:

Spoiler
Dominus has his plan to become immortal, but he needs to sacrifice a powerful champion in order to carry it out. Piety is one possibility, the player character is another. He sets up the conflict between Piety and the PC as a kind of test, to ensure that whichever of them survives is strong enough to be his sacrifice. Piety probably isn't aware of the full plan herself and at some points is carrying out Dominus' orders rather than acting on her own initiative.

This is why she blocks your path at various points, then says 'Make your way to Sarn!', then tries to kill you whenever you actually encounter her in Sarn. It's a series of tests which culminates in a duel to the death. You win that duel, proving to Dominus that you are the right champion for his plan.

As for the PC's motivation:

Templar: mission from God, guided by prophetic visions. (He probably got sent to Wraeclast as punishment when he told his superiors about these visions and wouldn't shut up about them.)

Marauder: obsessed with killing stuff in battle.

Duelist: proving to the world how awesome he is.

Ranger: Freedom!

Shadow: in it for the loot.

Witch: has the same kind of sick ambition as Maligaro, Piety and so on, and wants to learn from their experiments, but doesn't want to be anyone's apprentice.
Última edição por Incompetent em 11 de fev de 2013 02:15:07
"
jamnik_pucek escreveu:
From what I could gather:

Spoiler
Banishment to Wreaclast is a long standing practice from Oriath, even before Dominus and his lapdogs (Piety and Gravicius most significantly) took an interest in Sarn.

"A few full moons ago", Dominus, his Blackguard, along with the mentioned lap dogs arrive at Sarn, set up camp near the Lunaris Temple and the Scepter of God. Gravicius sets up shop as the commander of the Blackguard and provides protection and "supplies" for Piety and Dominus.

Piety seems to have "issues" with mortality and experimentation with "Virtue Gems" (or skill gems as we know them), she literally starts to murder the denizens of Wreaclast by the hundreds, continuing the work of Savaronne and Maligaro, both seemingly Eternal Empire "scholars" who were trying to escape mortality via implantation of Virtue Gems. The results - horrific mutations. There seems to be mild suggestion that Piety actually shares Maligaro's plight - she is dying/sick or just scared of death and is looking to avoid it (Some dialogues suggest that she is plagued by "constant imperfection" in what she is trying to accomplish).

Dominus on the other hand studies something completely different - on top of the Scepter of God, he finds a way to achieve divinity (see Open Beta trailer - "Today, I ascend to Godhood. And your death shall pave the way" (quoting form memory). He seems to need powerful souls to achieve that, in fact he seems to suggest that one of the points of him exiling Oriathians and Kaurii by the dozens is to find strong individuals he can sacrifice ("You have endured hardships, anguish... Share them with me." again, not a direct quote from the OB trailer)

The player character is banished months into this process - Piety has already slaughtered enough Oriath/Wreaclast inhabitants that the bottom of the Lunaris temple is literally overflowed with blood and flesh. Dominus' plan seems almost ready. The player carves his way through Wraeclast, at first trying to secure safety for themselves/the Lioneye's Watch dwellers, then the jungle ones (where Helena suggests that if Piety/Dominus is not stopped, everyone is screwed), finally arrives at Sarn and through either vengeance, the Kaurii desire to kick ass or nobler means, goes after the architects of their own and others suffering - Gravicius dies first, followed by Piety and, presumably, Dominus once Act 3.5 is in.

There is more to this - The fact that events like this seem to have transpired at least twice in the same place (first with the Vaal, then the Eternal Empire), the fate of the Ezomites, the role of the Gemling Queen in all of this... But from the exiles perspective, the reason for going forward seems to be survival, turned into survival/vengeance/noble ideals against an overwhelmingly evil force trying to use fores that clearly are unpure and "evil" to their own ends, possibly brinigng about yet another Cataclysm to the area.

I really like this summary! It's about what I understand of the story.

"
Incompetent escreveu:
As for the PC's motivation:

Templar: mission from God, guided by prophetic visions. (He probably got sent to Wraeclast as punishment when he told his superiors about these visions and wouldn't shut up about them.)

Marauder: obsessed with killing stuff in battle.

Duelist: proving to the world how awesome he is.

Ranger: Freedom!

Shadow: in it for the loot.

Witch: has the same kind of sick ambition as Maligaro, Piety and so on, and wants to learn from their experiments, but doesn't want to be anyone's apprentice.

The PCs don't have nearly that much motivation. Each person explains why they were exiled on the character selection screen, and nearly every one was at least a little unjust. The 'machinations of an invisible hand' in each of these unjust exiles explains perfectly (and meshing with your explanation) that Dominus had done this to bring the PC specifically to the island to do work for him in some way.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional