Why does it take so long to load on first launch?

If you have been around since the closed beta, your content.ggpk may be fragmented from so many patches.

There is a defrag utility posted here on the forum somewhere that rebuilds the content.ggpk file to defrag it and save some wasted space.

When I ran it, it cut my load time from over 2 mins to about 40 seconds.

It's still pretty much your HD that bottlenecks loading speed. Check to see how fragmented your file is and how fast the disk reads are for the file when you load it.
"
Angus escreveu:
If you have been around since the closed beta, your content.ggpk may be fragmented from so many patches.

There is a defrag utility posted here on the forum somewhere that rebuilds the content.ggpk file to defrag it and save some wasted space.

Wow Ill have to check that out. I started playing last April. It takes a long time to load and patch for me as well.
Peep
I have it installed on an SSD and the initial loading time is long but I don't care because the transition between maps is so fast I'm assuming it's because a lot of assets are loaded when you first start up.

If this is the case and they wanted to reduce the initial load time, they could probably only preload assets for the 3 towns and immediately adjacent maps, but then waypointing to a random map would take longer to load because the game couldn't anticipate you going there like it could if you transitioned from map to map in some logical fashion.

Obviously I have no idea how they manage this stuff so I'm just talking from a developer standpoint in general.
"
I have it installed on an SSD and the initial loading time is long but I don't care because the transition between maps is so fast I'm assuming it's because a lot of assets are loaded when you first start up.

If this is the case and they wanted to reduce the initial load time, they could probably only preload assets for the 3 towns and immediately adjacent maps, but then waypointing to a random map would take longer to load because the game couldn't anticipate you going there like it could if you transitioned from map to map in some logical fashion.

Obviously I have no idea how they manage this stuff so I'm just talking from a developer standpoint in general.

True, the load time between maps is lightning fast. Maybe they're loading more data initially, that would account for the fast loading times. Either way, it's not a big hassle, I find myself alt tabbing and doing something else until I hear the music start up.
Quite a while ago, one of the devs did acknowledge that loading times for PoE are unusually long because the code isn't optimized yet to only load what's needed. Before full release, there will definitely be alot of optimization done to hopefully reduce load times and improve general performance.
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
"Holding the line, on sixteen to one!"
Última edição por VoxelSquid em 22 de mar de 2013 14:07:35
"
sweetaction escreveu:
"
realatomicpanda escreveu:
That load time is a bit slow, isn't it? I load off of an SSD, and it still feels slow to me, compared to other games that I load off of the same drive.

Nowhere near as long as your 5-6 minutes, though.

Maybe 30 seconds for me. I guess I'm impatient. That's slow, to me.

It seriously takes a long time to load for me. Maybe im having platter issues. Ill scan my drives tonight and see if i need to replace the HDD's.

Besides my relatively longer times (as others are reporting around 1 minute) Does anyone know why POE takes so much longer to load than other games comparatively?

If you watch the game in the task manager, you'll see it starts at around 500mbs, and slow grows to around 1.1GBs before the initial login screen appears.

When, you exit and reload the game, it will load significantly faster because the files have been superfetched/pre-fetched by windows.

"
Angus escreveu:

anyone know where i would find this utility?
"
scorpitron escreveu:

SSD's my friend...once you get them you can never go back its night/day.

my gaming laptop without SSD's takes as long as what you describe...my laptop with SSD's and AMD 7970m? 15 seconds.

its takes 30-40sec for my PC to load the game... standard HD here, to be honest SSD is not worth it to me... 25sec<$200 to me... because that's the ONLY difference it makes on gaming experience...
"
AintCare escreveu:
"
scorpitron escreveu:

SSD's my friend...once you get them you can never go back its night/day.

my gaming laptop without SSD's takes as long as what you describe...my laptop with SSD's and AMD 7970m? 15 seconds.

its takes 30-40sec for my PC to load the game... standard HD here, to be honest SSD is not worth it to me... 25sec<$200 to me... because that's the ONLY difference it makes on gaming experience...

you can get a 120gb SSD for a lot less than 200 dollars. it makes a big difference for PoE because of how much is preloaded before you start the game.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional