A new "Eldritch Battery"

"
whiteBoy88 escreveu:
It wouldn't be too hard to plan a build that takes advantage of the current Eldritch Battery. Skipping all the ES and mana passives would leave you with a lot of points left to put into offense. With such a high amount of mana, you could run with nothing but a life flask and utility flasks, maybe Diamonds.

I've been seriously considering taking it on my minion-based witch so I can run a couple more auras. I don't need the defense at all; the few hits I take can be handled by my life pool.

If you were to skip all ES and mana passives, in this new build, you would indeed have a very small mana pool, even after the ES is converted. You'd essentially end up with a low health pool, and a semi-low mana pool. Taking damage to both of these pools, would not last very long. The build while possibly fun, would have no actual merit, in the current end game.

Also, your comment on running with nothing but utility flasks, already happens. That's what, I'd say, 90% of Witches are currently doing in Chaos. With the new iteration on Eldritch Battery, you would most likely need to carry at the very least a mana flask, due to having to retain enough mana, so that your small health pool is not diminished too quickly.

Ign: Desync
"
Cig escreveu:
"
whiteBoy88 escreveu:
I'm wary of the suggestions to make keystones more useful for the class in general. Keystones are meant to be build-defining in a drastic way, and not always in good ways. They weren't intended to always be a good choice for a given class.

Eldritch Battery removes your main defense in trade for greater offensive potential. It's a glass-cannon passive. Using it, you could completely forego mana passives and spend them on other passives like life or more offensive choices.

There in lies the problem with the current Keystone, we don't need a gigantic mana pool, for anything. So you are essintially, removing your defense for nothing.

In the new iteration, of Eldritch Battery, there is a drawback, this being, if you get hit by, or try to tank, a lot of damage, you will be OOM, in which point you WILL die. There is no getting around that. No ES, no mana, means very few hits for a low health pool character.

From this thread:
"
Qarl escreveu:
While there have been several well reasoned posts about the weakness of Eldritch Battery, there is one thing that prevents us from making it better.

By far the most abusive, overpowered character we have ever seen used Eldritch Battery (and no other keystone would have worked for what the build needed).

The person with that character (actually they built it twice, in different release versions), never shared their secret, and its not that easy a build to get right.
Eldritch Battery has already proven very powerful in certain builds.
From this thread:
"
Qarl escreveu:
While there have been several well reasoned posts about the weakness of Eldritch Battery, there is one thing that prevents us from making it better.

By far the most abusive, overpowered character we have ever seen used Eldritch Battery (and no other keystone would have worked for what the build needed).

The person with that character (actually they built it twice, in different release versions), never shared their secret, and its not that easy a build to get right.
Eldritch Battery has already proven very powerful in certain builds.[/quote]

While I do definitely get what you're saying Qarl, I'm not sure if not changing something, because it is "By far the most abusive, overpowered character we have ever seen," on 1 specific build, is the best design decision.

I'm not trying to be rude, but what I'm saying is, sure there may be one specific build, possibly even a handful, that uses Eldritch Battery to it's fullest potential, but to the majority of builds, it is rather pointless, or to be less harsh, sub optimal.

What I'm purposing, is to change it into something, that can be used by multiple builds, and gives a "choice" to many others. My question to you is, assuming, you all were to agree on the change, is it something that the engine can currently do? I would assume so, since it is a pseudo ES, but was just wondering. Also, would you have any objections, other than the above, to having this in you game?

Just trying to figure out the mindset of GGG, have a few other ideas on other matters, but want to see how far off base I am.
There are even more viable Eldritch Battery builds now, than when that thread was in progress.

I am also curious which devs you are referring to in the original post.

"
Qarl escreveu:
There are even more viable Eldritch Battery builds now, than when that thread was in progress.

I am also curious which devs you are referring to in the original post.

Fair enough, I reckon, I will have to try to find out a build that would actually need Eldritch Battery, in order to be effective.

Honestly I do not remember if it was a forum post, or if it was talk in chat, over the Open Beta Weekend. I will search, to see if I have drum up a forum post on the subject, or not.

I'm curious what are your thoughts on Eldritch Battery, Qarl, baring the overpowered build that was made?
If I had to guess they relied on massive amounts of mana in order to regen at a rate that was so huge that they could continuously cast a ranged spell that allowed them to never be in any danger... probably with a minion or two thrown ahead of them.

The largest benefit from a big mana pool is more than likely the regen effect, which overrides the need to support mana at all... combine that with defensive flasks that refill constantly and you basically end up with a potentially invulnerable character.

As far as passives go... changing one means you have to analyze 3 possible builds with each: How many OP builds, normal builds, and poor builds are possible with each? If you eliminate OP and poors and transfer them to normal builds, that is a successful swap... however that is quite difficult to ascertain.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
EpsiIon escreveu:

He's not removing it, he's suggesting that after battery converts ES to mana, Mana then becomes your ES as well as your "power source".

At least thats what i have gotten from the thread

NOW THIS WOULD BE AWESOME! It would be blood magic in reverse! It would work perfect it sounds like a Lich ability or something. I get that it sounds redundant. But I still like it.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional