Shocking

I would like to know everything about the shock status effect.

• How many times can shocks stack?
  • How big is the damage bonus and what types of damage does it apply to?
  • Is the damage bonus multiplicative?
  • How long do shocks last?
  • When you stack a second shock on top of a first, does it reset the timer (like charges) or do the shocks expire individually?
  • What's the progression on the Added Lightning Damage support gem?
  • If I use a skill with multiple projectiles (and +chance to shock) does each projectile have the chance to shock individually or do they all shock or none (like crits)? I assume the former because that's how Chance to Ignite seems to work.
  • Are there any other questions that I haven't asked but that should be answered?

Thanks for the help.
Forum Sheriff
ripped from Malice's mechanics thread

"
Lightning damage
If you land a critical strike with an attack or spell that deals lightning damage, the enemy becomes Shocked. This can be stacked up to three times on one target. In this state, monsters or players take 40% additional damage per instance of Shock.

Burning, Chilled, Frozen, and Shocked are collectively known as Status Ailments.

The duration of the chilled, frozen, and shocked statuses is related to the amount of cold/lightning damage dealt.
If the duration based on the damage would be less that 300ms, it's ignored entirely.

I also remember reading that shocks do in fact reset the timer. And from personal expirence this seems to fit in with how poison/chaos works as well.

"A tool knows exactly how it is meant to be handled, while the user of the tool can only have an approximate idea." -Milan Kundera
- Shock can stack 3 times.
- Each stack is a 1.4 multiplier on all damage sources.
- Yes.
- A few seconds, based on HP and can be increased via passives and skill quality/level.
- Yes, the timer resets per shock application.
- No idea.
- Each can shock individually, very good with Elemental Proliferation.
- Yes, but I don't know what they are.
Última edição por pneuma em 1 de jul de 2012 01:07:34
Some good questions. I'm not certain if you're only looking for Dev answers, but I think I know the answer to a few, and would definitely love to know the rest.
"
tpapp157 escreveu:
How many times can shocks stack?
How big is the damage bonus and what types of damage does it apply to?

Up to 3.
"
Is the damage bonus multiplicative?

This makes the most sense to me, and although it's not easy to get 3 stacks on something without also killing it, I believe it is.
"
How long do shocks last?

That depends on the amount of lightning damage done to trigger the effect vs enemy max life, and also on how much increased shock duration you have. I don't have any formulas, unfortunately.
"
What's the progression on the Added Lightning Damage support gem?

A few of the values can be found here: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Added_Lightning_Damage
"
If I use a skill with multiple projectiles (and +chance to shock) does each projectile have the chance to shock individually or do they all shock or none (like crits)? I assume the former because that's how Chance to Ignite seems to work.

I think that chance to shock from non-crits may be figured only when it hits, due to the Elemental Weakness curse, so I think you're right on that one. Crit is rolled once for all projectiles in a volley/cast and then can be increased further by Critical Weakness curse when they hit.
"
Are there any other questions that I haven't asked but that should be answered?

I'm sure there's plenty of them, but I think the ones related to the shocked status ailment are well covered here.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
I gave up asking for shock, freeze, chill etc. formulas ages ago.
All we know is that it's based on the amount of damage dealt, and that if the calculated duration is less than 300ms, then it doesn't happen at all.

The damage increase is a buff/debuff on the enemy, so it is multiplicative with your total damage. I have no idea if it applies before or after armour. Whether it stacks multiplicatively or additively with other types of buffs/debuffs is anyone's guess, although I would assume multiplicatively.

"
Are there any other questions that I haven't asked but that should be answered?

I could be wrong but I think it interacts somehow with increased buff duration. Question is, is it the target's increased buff duration that affects it (since they are the ones being "buffed"), or the attacker's?
It's never really been clear to me what is and is not a buff, and what buff modifiers affects which buffs in which situations.
From my experience with increased buff/debuff duration, my opinion is that status ailments don't technically count as debuffs. Burning definitely doesn't, and since that's the only one we have hard duration data for... I only have anecdotal evidence for the other status ailments.

Temporal Chains does seem to increase duration for status ailments though, burning for certain and I strongly suspect for shocked, freeze and chill as well. This totally flies in the face of my theory on status ailments as debuffs theory, as Temporal Chains specifies debuffs.

I've never known quite what to make of that.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Yeah but Temporal Chains is weird. It doesn't lengthen them I don't think I believe they just run out slower. Same with that it doesn't actually modify their attack or cast speeds, it just slows the animations like chill does.
"
Umbraal escreveu:
Yeah but Temporal Chains is weird. It doesn't lengthen them I don't think I believe they just run out slower. Same with that it doesn't actually modify their attack or cast speeds, it just slows the animations like chill does.

It increases the total damage from burning though, without modifying the damage/s value. I seriously doubt there is some "temporal displacement" stat that it decreases, it just modifies duration values and movement/cast/attack speed, like everything else in the game does. Temporal Chains just seems to affect more of the duration values than buff/debuff duration passives affect.

Speaking of which, this reminds me of another question related to shocked that I've always been interested in but have had trouble testing: Does the shocked damage bonus also apply to health degeneration effects such as poison arrow, burning, puncture and righteous fire?
Última edição por UristMcDwarfy em 1 de jul de 2012 17:52:32
I would assume that shock does not effect degeneration since it's not a true damage source (and there's no other way to buff that damage besides Vulnerability).
Temporal chains has nothing whatsoever to do with modifying duration values. It modifies how much time the buff/debuff effect gets told has passed.
If 500ms have passed since the last tick, the buff will be told that only 250 ms will have passed, so will subtract that much from it's run time.

The duration is given when a buff/debuff starts, so if temporal chains affected that, it would not change any effects already on the target, and effects placed on the target while under chains would last longer even after the chains ran out.

Elemental status ailments are technically debuffs, they just aren't currently affected by buff/debuff duration increases, which are specifically for the effects of buffs/debuffs generated as the direct effects of skills, rather than as side effects from damage. This may change in future - we don't have enough categories for these stats, in my opinion (I'd prefer buffs and debuffs to have separate stats, among other things), and I have plans for changes to this system., but they are not a priority at the moment.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional