No Gold in beta?

"
wakko escreveu:

I like their idea a lot. I guess for this game I won't be getting bored of getting and managing gold.
looking forward to the barter/recipe system seems different
"
Exzyz escreveu:
Then we wont have to bother with the damn chinese goldfarmers.

It's going to be VERY interesting to see what they do, if anything.

They could pour hours upon hours to find the really rare orbs/barter items or, idealistically, give up and not bother (hooray!)
YOUはSHOCK!
Selvarajah - Lv30 2H Marauder
I personally think no gold was a great idea, its really not needed when you think about it.

The thing I will miss most is a gambler type NPC.

I just can't quit you Gheed. :(
Look at the Diablo 2 economy.

Gold = worthless

It's just too easy to amass gold via selling all the random crap you find, and there's no mechanic for *removing* gold from the economy.
Without that, the economy inflates endlessly, until the only items you can afford to buy with money are items that you can buy from NPC vendors anyways.

Games that have functional currency economies have a method to remove the currency at a similar pace to how fast it is generated.
Most MMOs have repair bills. That's what they are there for. Typically though, they aren't harsh enough, and inflation occurs anways.
EVE Online is the only MMO I've seen manage to prevent over-inflation.

So, what better measure than get rid of the ability for player to store an unlimited amount of wealth? No gold means no gold cap required. Your wealth cap is your backpack space.

Diablo 2 ended up the same way - because the only currencies taken for high end items were other high end items.
NewDude: I killed Brutus. Now I have no quest. So what now?
Guy: I guess there are people that NEED quests for direction.
Guy2: I always wonder how those people get through life.
GuyMontag: They get married. Wives are like quest-givers.
The idea of barter rather than gold is actually a pretty decent one. It will make the whole economy work in a slightly different way, allowing for more balance and at the same time there will be no bigger problems with potential economic breakdowns as well as gold oriented bots.
I really wanted to comment this system but... There's really no need to.

I believe it's quite simply brilliant, a VERY welcome change to gold, which, I find, in a game such as this, to simply not work, unless you have hundreds of thousands of players and items cost exorbitant amounts, in order to balance out inflation.

This, however, is a step forward in the best direction possible, that I can see. This might just prove to be the best economy system in an online game, to this day, to the extent of my knowledge.

However, they have to be careful with adding that many more currency items (expected 25 by release). So far, they seem balanced, but if they add much more it might tip that balance quite drastically. I'd say it shouldn't be forced. If something seems like it's pushing it, ease off on it.

So far, this game screams innovation, in a good way, but there's always the danger of the need to constantly innovate, and thus, bring the whole system crashing down.
The king will kneel and let his kingdom rise.
- emb0 is the best, thanks a lot mate! -
This is interesting, haven't seen a system like this before. Hope it's good. Fighting inflation sounds like a good thing at the very least.

Just wondering, using the vendor, do they set what you can get for certain items? And any idea if you want to sell X you will always get Y and not Z in the future? Meaning it will always be the exact thing.
Logically, vendor items will always cost a certain amount of certain objects.

However, this might be determined by item stats and value. Such as, an item with less stats than another will most probably cost less of the same bartering items as the same item type with more stats.

... I hope that makes sense, but, to me, it's pretty logical. It may be completely different than my interpretation of it, but so far, it seems that vendors are , very much, a backup and that the economy will be completely player based, as it should be.
The king will kneel and let his kingdom rise.
- emb0 is the best, thanks a lot mate! -
In my opinion whatever you choose will be good.

Diablo 2 has gold but it's pretty much worthless (except for the beginning of the game). The real currency are the runes. I enjoyed that barter system - trading items for runes, it was fun.

On the other hand the barter system from Diablo can be complicated. The prices are changing rapidly and you never know what can you get for that rune. It also makes the whole buying process a lot longer.

World of Warcraft has gold as main currency and it works fine too. It's clear, simple and fast.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional