Man, duelist sucks

"
DrMarc escreveu:
Hearing all this discouraging news about Duelist is making me not want to level mine. However, there is a Duelist who is level 80+ and in the top 20 in the HC ladders. Someone made it work (whether it's melee or ranged) so it is doable.

Making something work, is not the same as it being any good. I got to 70 before I died on docks; my current DW duelist is 62. I doubt that duelist is even melee. Probably a bow duelist. My leveling partner at 73 is a Bow duelist; that is usually the only kind of duelist I see.

You can make anything work. Stand around leech kills, exp, farm lower content, you name it you can get any spec you want to high level. Problem comes in the ability of the character compared to everyone else. You will for sure farm slower and less efficient then any ranged. If you are content with that, then its ok. I personally like playing weaker characters in HC. It makes it more fun. HC is about surviving and leveling. If I played SC, I would just play the most busted OP farmer I could since SC is about wealth/items.

So yes, I do have fun on the 2 duelists I have made. But I have also started leveling a Ranger to screw around and it is pretty apparent the discrepancy in melee/ranged capabilities on that character.
Dunno. My current highest char is a duelist.

Aside from having really AWEFUL luck in equipment terms, i have one real issue with him:
Every exciting passive seems to be just a little further away from him than other classes. In place of it, he gets passives for weapons you can't use with the current FOTM groundslam cheese, with MORE passives for the same weapons closeby.
Oh, and bow. Bow duelist probably work about as good as ranger... but then, why wouldn't i just play ranger?
"
Destructodave escreveu:
"
DrMarc escreveu:
Hearing all this discouraging news about Duelist is making me not want to level mine. However, there is a Duelist who is level 80+ and in the top 20 in the HC ladders. Someone made it work (whether it's melee or ranged) so it is doable.

Making something work, is not the same as it being any good. I got to 70 before I died on docks; my current DW duelist is 62. I doubt that duelist is even melee. Probably a bow duelist. My leveling partner at 73 is a Bow duelist; that is usually the only kind of duelist I see.

You can make anything work. Stand around leech kills, exp, farm lower content, you name it you can get any spec you want to high level. Problem comes in the ability of the character compared to everyone else. You will for sure farm slower and less efficient then any ranged. If you are content with that, then its ok. I personally like playing weaker characters in HC. It makes it more fun. HC is about surviving and leveling. If I played SC, I would just play the most busted OP farmer I could since SC is about wealth/items.

So yes, I do have fun on the 2 duelists I have made. But I have also started leveling a Ranger to screw around and it is pretty apparent the discrepancy in melee/ranged capabilities on that character.

I agree. I never made the argument that it's any good. I just want a way to make the class function (even if it's less efficient). I, like you, like the extra challenge in HC when a class is UP compared to others. It'll be an added bonus when GGG fixes the class to already have a Duelist leveled.
basically have to farm 10 lvls lower or you get 2-3 shoted and lose 15% and im talking about soloing not getting carried im lvl 64 and im stuck lvling at the ledge cause i get ruined by anything with elemantal attacks
IGN : Detrium
This really sounds like Act 2 Inferno in Diablo 3 before they nerfed the difficulty across the board. My Monk died over and over. I had to get a shield (!), specc and gear everything for defense just to survive.

Man, talk about a discouragement to go on. I'm level 44, going for a high risk Blood Craze build. It feels awesome, I'm doing tons of damage and mow through the levels, surviving barely on the edges. I don't want to hit the Inferno wall again.
Yeah, duelist is class which works only if you're extremely knowledgeable about what to do.

On Level 53:

- I begin to lack accuracy (83%, mostly had 90%)
- My Armor Reduction is 43%, because I just lack points to spend on it
- I'm quite squishy on HP, ~1300 HP with quite big amount stuff... which is strange, because I clearly have more than +100% on HP nodes,
- My Damage is so so
- My Elemental Resistances suck... would need farming to get that into good degrees.

Probably my fault, that's too... but doing Duelist not dependant on Resolute Technique hurts, on the other hand getting to Resolute Technique hurts too, because you miss quite good nodes in way to Ranger.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAAwAEsQUtBu4OrRRSGNsbyCFgKLUppSzpNDU0kzWGOJY6s0CgQzFDnEd-Sn1MYFPfWNtgS2CIYxdjcGVNZ6Bqk25pdO108XrvfpqE2YTvh3aQCpdwmSubg52qnrmrxbcXuc2-p8APwQfEWMS4ypDM29JN1FLV7dX4137dDeXF707v4_zF

Comparing to Marauder, Duelist seems kind of impossible class to make good enough trying to be a hybrid. It's Full Marauder, Full Ranger or Full of Fail.

I wonder about some connections which are just meant to mess up connection with other trees neighbouring with duelist, especially Amour Master, which is simply useless for Duelist and even Heavy Armor one can manage by using Whirling + Faster Attacks and Flicker Strike.

It would be the best if Keystone introduction would bring some functionality in Duelist area... Hell, I have even idea what it could be.

Weapon Master :

- You can't wield two of the same type of Weapon
- You can't wield Shield or Two handed Weapon
- Nodes of the two types of Weapon types get shared (If you were that desperate, you could make Rapier/Dagger combo)
- Accuracy Rating +X%

about the rest dunno... Probably that's bad idea, but well. This is just my opinion.
"
_Seze_ escreveu:
It's not melee dps that's imbalanced...dps in quiet good actually... it's inability to deliver that melee combat thrill by absorbing incoming damage and actually letting u stay in a fight for a reasonable amount of time(i'm talking about end game content.. and not some 50-60 lvl experience, cause that ain't even close to end game)... say barb can charge into a group of mobs hacking and slashing his bloody path... and so can demon hunter... but in PoE mob damage is so big that there is no way u can just rush into end game mobs without taking 1000000++ damage in mere seconds. But there's always an option of Ground Slam and Lightning Strike, but that's not melee... they are just ranged attacks with a melee weapon 8)

To summarize he would like this to be Diablo 3 (I find melee there incredibly boring) where you can just stand in front of every mob and kill them all. My WW barb was so incredible hard to play.... Wait nvm it just destroyed anything in it's path without ever stopping or running out of his zerking form...I do perfectly fine as melee but you can't expect to just stand in there toe to toe forever in this game. It's not meant for the casual who wants to just kill everything with ease and no effort.
You can't fix stupid, but you can ignore it.
YouTube.com/MegaMandray
Twitch.tv/Mandray
Mandray's Shop Maintained Daily - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/166353
IGN=CreativePlay
"
Destructodave escreveu:
Problem is ranged is simply too good. That, and most other melee attacks use ranged based attacks like ground slam, LS, etc.

Cleave just sucks. I use cleave. I'm still at a loss as to why DW cleave has to have such a huge damage penalty. The attack flat out sucks for its return on investment. It is one of the only actual melee aoe's that is Melee. It ought to be a bit better then that. It also has very small range; it ought to do a ass ton of damage for such a small aoe radius.

Also, the main problem is melee doesnt have any good supports like ranged does; unless you use LS and just pretend to be a ranged character.

All ranged attacks are simply better across the board. They do more damage, they ahve better supports, and they are well, ranged.

Also, by nature of the skill trees, ranged have no disadvantages over melee. People, even other duelists using bows, have some percieved notion that this makes them "squishy". They have the same defensive talents I do! How the hell are they any squishier then me? I hear this all the time "I cant get up there, I'm ranged. They kill me." I say, "how much hp you got?" They say, "3300, and 45% armor." I'm like really? Really? How the hell are you any squishier then I am. You aren't.

That is the inherent problem with melee. The skill trees allow these ranged characters to not only be just as tanky and durable, but have the added benefit of doing all their damage from range, and usually that damage is also HIGHER. So why even play melee? There is zero advantages anywhere to being a melee.

One of the only ways I can see this being fixed, is buff melee based skills like cleave; you have to get right up in there, you might as well be rewarded for it by lots of damage. This isn't your normal RPG where the ranged damage is balanced by their lack of survivability. They are just as tanky; therefore they need a drawback somewhere, and melee skills should have a higher Return on Investment.

(...)

Furthermore, melee get stuck having to go all defensive talents. You can't do anything but look at axe and sword nodes and wonder how well they would work, because you have to get all the resist/life/crap you can or you die just trying to play the game. Ranged actually get to get some damage nodes because well, they are ranged and get hit a little less. This also widens the power gap between ranged and melee, they are able to actually use the damage parts of the trees where melee are stuck picking up nothing but life and resists.

Basically, there is no reason to be a melee character unless you just want to struggle. There are no advantages to being one, and zero disadvantages to being a ranged class. This needs to change.

+ Your post is excellent. I ve played on other account Blood Magic Duelist High armour/eva on HC and tested it before OB on myself. You have absolute right. Melee guy using close combat skills is really hard to play character. Doing maps is nightmare. I was forced to use bear traps supoorted with culling strike (for bosses, they DPS was too high even with my great defenses) and conversion traps to reduce number of mobs in packs. Ranged characters can easily avoid ton of incoming damage. Especially chaos damage mobs was the main threat for my duelist. I ve tired ranged characters and there is no comparision.

In open beta i ve started with DW Blood Magic Marauder on HC because he have easier access to resist nodes, more dps than duelist. Whirling blades have saved me many times from chaos dmg which is now most horrible thing when playing melee. I ve died to multiple desync and undead with unrighteous fire (shizzz, running out of flask charges is really painfull with this bug), but i will try again in this week. Just another challenge on my list.

Maybe increasing Cleave range will be good, but it could be not the best solution, because giving ranged skills to this type of character is a wrong way to deal with this problem. I love close combat and melee characters because they are more risky to play...

"
Destructodave escreveu:

Also, they could stand to put defensive nodes deep into melee damage nodes. Maybe at the end of the node, where you get your 12 or 15% damage boost, it also gives 50% armor, or some resists. As it stands, Ranged have every access to every defensive node any melee has, which makes them simply better across the board. If you just stick more defensive nodes on the tree willy nilly, ranged can get those too and the balance of power does not change.

This way is the best to fix it. Also some Life leech boost given in this manner will be good.

PS. Sorry for spam, but maybe someone from GGG will take a look on this. I don't want to play with Path of Ranged Exile too.
"
XDementia escreveu:
I had the same problem until I discovered endurance charges + IR + granite flask.

I do agree that Duelists could use some love, and the devs said they will soon, so hang in tight.

What is (IR) stand for? also, for me so far granite flasks are near impossible to get. Farm location?
I am only a level 29 Duelist as of right now, and reading this thread makes me really sad :(
I will definitely continue playing this character until I reach the point where I am no longer having any fun, and hopefully by that time GGG addresses the issues pointed out in this thread.

I also have a suggestion: giving a percentage of damage reduction to melee-weapon users, just like D3 had with the Barb and Monk taking 30% less damage (except it wouldn't work in PoE since everyone can use any weapon, so make the damage decrease on melee weapons only).

I think it's a pretty simple fix and will thus make a lot of problems that were pointed out in this thread non-existent. What do you guys think?

Of course, I am no professional in these type of games, especially when it comes to balancing. If this is a bad suggestion, please point it out and explain why. Thanks!

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional