Death Penalty Changes in 0.11.3

The new experimental experience penalty values are 3% in Cruel and 8% in Merciless (down from 7.5% and 15% respectively). These can and will change in the future based on feedback and analysis of play patterns.

The main reason for having a death penalty is so that players aren't able to attrition their way through every fight. We're okay with the strategy of throwing yourself at a boss several times if it's a little too hard for you (which allows us to have pretty challenging mandatory boss fights), but there needs to be a penalty so that this doesn't become a dominant strategy.

We (and many of our more hardcore players) are worried that a lower death penalty may reduce the importance of building characters correctly and playing carefully. However, there are hardcore leagues for players who want deaths to be extremely meaningful. The new values do still strongly discourage dying.

At this stage we're expecting to deploy 0.11.3 next week. Another change it includes is that six socket items are now included in the set of allocated items (like four-link items were).
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Interesting change.

I'm not digging the 6 socket thing though.

That only leaves chromatic items to be added to the list.
IGN: Aux
Última edição por Aux em 25 de jul de 2013 01:44:50
I don't think this is the right solution - 15% is a good amount, but applying it as a 'debt' (where you don't gain experience for 15% of your level every time you die, non-stacking) is a good kick in the teeth without negating progress you've already made. 8% is trivial.
IRON MAN
"
Another change it includes is that six socket items are now included in the set of allocated items (like four-link items were).

Explaination anyone??
IGN: Taytae
Wow.

Leveling is going to be so easy on Anarchy now. Players can now die twice as much... lame.

Wow I just read the six-socket allocation change. I can't decide which change is worse for the game.

I hope this post is a troll. *Crosses Fingers*
IGN: ThrobbinRobin
Última edição por Sodomee em 25 de jul de 2013 01:44:15
Sounds great to me. Should get me more encouraged to keep playing. Thanks as always for being willing to experiment, GGG.
"
Flatlined2008 escreveu:
"
Another change it includes is that six socket items are now included in the set of allocated items (like four-link items were).

Explaination anyone??

If an item has 6 sockets, it is now allocated to a player for a certain amount of time, just like rare items are.
IRON MAN
Mmm, I don't think I'm a fan of this. As someone who plays exclusively Standard/Anarchy League, I liked having a serious penalty that didn't mean restarting my character. Felt like an accomplishment to not die, but not too depressing when I did. We'll see how it goes, but I don't think that simply lowering them is the right move.
El Psy Congroo.
"
Dreggon escreveu:
I don't think this is the right solution - 15% is a good amount, but applying it as a 'debt' (where you don't gain experience for 15% of your level every time you die, non-stacking) is a good kick in the teeth without negating progress you've already made. 8% is trivial.

This is an option that was considered, however a debt is very psychologically negative if you stop playing after dying, and then come back to the game, as you have a penalty that you only get long after the associations with the act that gave you the penalty.

We also considered a time bound penalty, which has other issues associated with it (giving players a de-facto incentive to not play being the important problem.)

I vote for 5% and 10%, 3 and 8 just seems a little low.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional