Death Penalty Changes in 0.11.3

GGG, have you considered flipping the penalty into a positive?

You would remove the experience penalty entirely, and instead give a stacking XP buff. As you kill monsters, you receive a buff that grants +5% Increased Experience Gain and stacks up to three times, for a total of +15%. On death, all stacks are lost.

This means you never lose anything you have earned, but technically lose out on all that bonus experience while working toward regaining the full buff. The end result would be the same as the current death penalty if all monster XP was reduced by 15% across the board. Psychologically speaking, though, you wouldn't feel nearly as bad after you die.

The major mechanical difference is that dying repeatedly won't penalize you any further. Characters who are struggling can still progress, just at a slower pace. Playing well remains paramount for optimal efficiency, however.

-----

How about wrapping it up as a choice?

Blessing of Death
Again, you would remove the XP penalty completely, and a town NPC would offer a semi-permanent buff: You gain +10% bonus experience, and lose 20% experience on death.

The NPC could also cast a counter-hex on you that would remove the buff when you level or die. This would be to minimize any possible exploits, so you cannot turn the buff on/off without 'earning' it.

This system would turn a frustration into a choice. When those who take the buff die, they have only themselves to blame. It makes the loss of XP easier to accept, in much the same way as you accept, however grudgingly, the permanent loss of your character in a hardcore league -- because you had a choice.

Here is the original thread for this idea.

-----

Attrition and Bad Builds
I am glad to hear your reasoning for the XP penalty, GGG. Thank you, as it gives a foundation to base argumentation on.

"
Chris escreveu:
The main reason for having a death penalty is so that players aren't able to attrition their way through every fight. We're okay with the strategy of throwing yourself at a boss several times if it's a little too hard for you (which allows us to have pretty challenging mandatory boss fights), but there needs to be a penalty so that this doesn't become a dominant strategy.

If a player hits a wall in their progression, what options do they have? They cannot conjure better gear out of thin air, reworking their passive tree is intentionally limited, and farming easier zones rewards less and less XP. No matter what they try against, say, Piety, a character like a Summoner will find their army repeatedly decimated. What can they do besides whittle her down through attrition?

Join a party? What else? What tools has GGG given players to overcome challenges beyond attrition? You don't want it to be a "dominant strategy", but what if it's the only strategy?

Is the game trying to motive those players to quit? Maybe it should pop up with this message after losing an entire bar of experience, to drive the point home: "You made a bad character, noob! Start over or GTFO!"

"
Chris escreveu:
We (and many of our more hardcore players) are worried that a lower death penalty may reduce the importance of building characters correctly and playing carefully. However, there are hardcore leagues for players who want deaths to be extremely meaningful. The new values do still strongly discourage dying.

You don't have to use direct negative reinforcement to still emphasize the importance of well-built characters. Everyone intrinsically wants to kick ass and gain as much loot and XP as efficiently as possible. Achieving this is a reward unto itself. My above idea of a stacking buff that is lost on death reinforces the value of strong, survivable builds, but without severely penalizing less knowledgeable players who made one or more mistakes along the way.

As it stands right now, the XP penalty does not truly stop attrition. I can farm up a level before hitting a challenging boss, and attrition the f*ck out of it (because I can't drop levels at 0% XP). Later on in my career, when I'm farming casually in the 80s-90s and it has taken two hours to go up a single bar, and a Reflect pack with Added Damage crits on me the moment after I am cursed and I insta-die, well, that really has nothing to do with attrition, but I just paid the price of 6 hours for a mechanic that wasn't even intended for my situation.
changing a reward function by 50% is something that hasnt gone well in many aspects of the universe. getting close to another lvl on my high lvl characters has always been quite thrilling. DON´T KILL THE THRILL!
only dsync deaths should have lower xp loss.
While, as a high level hardcore player, I am generally against the idea of making it easier for softcore players to progress in levels than hardcore ones, I understand from a business perspective and general game play enjoyment perspective why this change is being implemented.

I would like to suggest an alternative change though to discourage deaths for softcore players and simultaneously help their economy. If you implemented a repair system similar that applied a death penalty that reduced the effectiveness of gear by a % and required currency to remove, you could potentially help stabilize the inflation in the economy. As it stands gear only collects in SC so using lots of orbs becomes unnecessary and they collect where this is not the case in hardcore. If people were forced to use these orbs to repair gear after deaths, especially if it carried some sort of increasing cost based on either ilvl or preferably character lvl, then you could kill two birds with one stone I believe.
"
Slider13 escreveu:
While, as a high level hardcore player, I am generally against the idea of making it easier for softcore players to progress in levels than hardcore ones,

Fact 1: You don't play in Standard League.
Fact 2: You do play in Hardcore League.
Fact 3: Nothing from Standard League can affect the Hardcore Leagues.

In other words, any changes to Standard League would have no effect on you. Not their economy, their ladder, nothing. Yet, for some reason, it bothers you if leveling in that league is "easier"? A league that has zero, none, nada, zilch effect on you? This just blows my mind -- do you feel you are being rational here? Demanding what experience others should have?

It'd be like you as a kid going to a park with two sandboxes. One has a sign that says, "No buckets" and the other allows buckets. You like the idea of having no buckets, so you play in the non-bucket sandbox. Then you look over at the other playzone and think, "No, this isn't good enough. Buckets let them build sandcastles faster than me! Their buckets make it too easy -- there should be holes in those buckets!"

Is it spite? Do you enjoy raining on other people? Help me to understand how this isn't the impulse of a sadist.
Just replying to get my vote in.

Ok, being an older player (age) .. death and the high cost.. really reduces the fun for me. I support lower % .

My reflexes are strongly challenged over must players (I suspect).. so I am not saying there should be no penalty... just a low one.

Thanks for listening Dev's
"
Hercanic escreveu:
"
Slider13 escreveu:
While, as a high level hardcore player, I am generally against the idea of making it easier for softcore players to progress in levels than hardcore ones,

Fact 1: You don't play in Standard League.
Fact 2: You do play in Hardcore League.
Fact 3: Nothing from Standard League can affect the Hardcore Leagues.

In other words, any changes to Standard League would have no effect on you. Not their economy, their ladder, nothing. Yet, for some reason, it bothers you if leveling in that league is "easier"? A league that has zero, none, nada, zilch effect on you? This just blows my mind -- do you feel you are being rational here? Demanding what experience others should have?

It'd be like you as a kid going to a park with two sandboxes. One has a sign that says, "No buckets" and the other allows buckets. You like the idea of having no buckets, so you play in the non-bucket sandbox. Then you look over at the other playzone and think, "No, this isn't good enough. Buckets let them build sandcastles faster than me! Their buckets make it too easy -- there should be holes in those buckets!"

Is it spite? Do you enjoy raining on other people? Help me to understand how this isn't the impulse of a sadist.

you got my vote for troll of the year
This is one change I am completely happy about. I "quit" back in Feb. after grinding to 85 and dying many times that I got fed up with it and stopped playing. This along with further act progression are some of the things I am looking forward to.

Might have to start playing more again since this change is a pretty big incentive for me.
IGN: EmptyPalms
Dont like the exp change. Too soft!!
Pls remove every exp penalty and add a system to reset boss encounters / reset life of enemies after a death.

For parties just use 1/(amount of players) of hp is restored.

THX
English is my third language, there will be bugs.
Lose the exp penalty TOTALLY.Zero reason for it.Fix your game then talk to us about exp penalties.
How in the hell are you going to punish us for your inability to fix your own game?

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional