Portal and Identify Scrolls - Do we really need them?

Wisdom scrolls already have a sink. You can trade 3 for a portal scroll, and 7 portal scrolls for a transmutation.
The problem is that trade is so tedious to perform that probably no-one bothers with it, and people with that many excess scrolls probably already have more than enough transmutations.

My most recent character, now at the end of merciless, is not yet swimming in scrolls. At one point I had about 4 stacks saved up, but then I used all my alteration orbs trying to get good weapons and flasks, and still needed more. So I began identifying and selling every magic and rare that dropped to sell for shards. It didn't take long before I ran out of scrolls and had to ration them again.

So I don't think there is a problem with unlimited wisdom scrolls until the very late game, when you are very well geared. But at that point, some of the other currency items are mostly worthless to you also. I don't think it is unreasonable that someone who has completed all the content and is basically farming for high-end gear, will have an abundance of the most basic, lowest-tier currency in the game.
The question becomes:

Is there going to be a substantial trade mechanism, player or npc, that will support trading up from scrolls to something desirable.

Having 'worthless' currency items shouldn't happen, and if it is worthless to one person, and cannot be traded, then a sink needs to be put in for those.

Long term consideration though.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
The question becomes:

Is there going to be a substantial trade mechanism, player or npc, that will support trading up from scrolls to something desirable.

Having 'worthless' currency items shouldn't happen, and if it is worthless to one person, and cannot be traded, then a sink needs to be put in for those.

Finding matching prefix-suffix recipe probably won't cut it.

Long term consideration though.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
I think they're fine the way they are

Also, to change this mechanic would affect a lot of other systems at this point and so I think it's not worth it.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223/highlight/

note where the OP talks about how unidentified rares can be worth double that of identified ones.
Father...Father, The Sleeper Has Awakened!
"
Malice escreveu:
Wisdom scrolls already have a sink. You can trade 3 for a portal scroll, and 7 portal scrolls for a transmutation.
The problem is that trade is so tedious to perform that probably no-one bothers with it, and people with that many excess scrolls probably already have more than enough transmutations.

My most recent character, now at the end of merciless, is not yet swimming in scrolls. At one point I had about 4 stacks saved up, but then I used all my alteration orbs trying to get good weapons and flasks, and still needed more. So I began identifying and selling every magic and rare that dropped to sell for shards. It didn't take long before I ran out of scrolls and had to ration them again.

So I don't think there is a problem with unlimited wisdom scrolls until the very late game, when you are very well geared. But at that point, some of the other currency items are mostly worthless to you also. I don't think it is unreasonable that someone who has completed all the content and is basically farming for high-end gear, will have an abundance of the most basic, lowest-tier currency in the game.

how can you possibly run out of scrolls? i have over 200 stacks on my legacy account and about 30 stacks on my default and i dont even play that much
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
I've got a great idea!

1. Add an "Item Lore" attribute to every character.

2. Whenever the character identifies an item, add some points to the character's Item Lore. This indicates the character's growing knowledge of the available equipment.

3. When the character's Item Lore reaches a certain value (like 1000 items identified), he or she gains the ability to identify items on sight/on pick-up/through some kind of skill. Preferably on pick-up.

I also thought about crafting Tomes of Knowledge from Wisdom scrolls, that would grant this ability, but then people would just trade them.

The Scrolls of Wisdom would still be in the game, would drop as usual, could still serve as a currency at vendors etc., but experienced characters wouldn't have to waste time identifying all the items they pick up.

You often have around 10 unidentified items in your inventory. To identify them all before selling or keeping them you have to right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click...

Item Lore could even be something more. After reaching higher and higher levels, it could provide equipment related bonuses. Maybe increased drop rates, maybe enable the character to increase the quality of certain (most identified?) items past 20%?

"
I've seen so many pairs of gloves already that I think I know how to improve them even more!

... but then high level characters would sell improved items...

... so maybe enhancing items like this could add an Item Lore requirement to the item?

Or you could choose to specialize in certain items. Become the person that can make the best boots or swords and sell your improved items.

Please tell me what do you think about my ideas!
http://www.last.fm/user/LinchpinPL

http://is.gd/zNxxJg Lynchpin, Firestorm Templar, lvl 74

Current char: http://is.gd/Q9HfTo Deflector, ES/EVA/BLOCK/ELEM Shadow, lvl 65
I don't mind the need to identify rares, but mixed with the "no currency" system, I really think it makes a bad combination.

Commodifying identify scrolls may be the worst idea in the history of ARPGs, worse than requiring an Internet connection to play a single-player game.
Necro
'It is good to contact a moderator if you feel someone is being a twat' Charan, Forum Moderator

Sometimes, we have to cross a ditch.
Sometimes, we have to cross an ocean.-Rhys, GGG
It's stupid how Diablo and Path of Exile babied down identification scrolls. ID scrolls in older games were very rare, valuable, and integral to your success since items could be cursed, and a single cursed item could easily kill you.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional