POE Reddit shutdown wipes decade+ of pointed discussion

not the reddit drama again...
"
sevens67 escreveu:
That is kind of the point, Reddit is getting greedy and trying to cash in on selling its trove of data to AI apps, while just shoving the ones who provided the data in the 1st place to the ground. I support taking the data down as long as needed. I can suffer as long as it takes to get a fair product, Reddit needs to rethink this one. There is a literal graveyard of social apps that got too greedy we may get to add reddit to the list.

Thanks for being a voice of sanity in here. So many "strange" reddit-related threads lately, and nobody seem capable of seeing the bigger picture.

"
feral_nature escreveu:

Still, not again. And get used to it, this will be the reality of many forums for several months, unless the local authority (i.e the GGG moderators) opt to ban or relocate the topics to a more suitable location (i.e off topic, since none of this is really about PoE).
"
Northern_Ronin escreveu:
"
feral_nature escreveu:

Still, not again. And get used to it, this will be the reality of many forums for several months, unless the local authority (i.e the GGG moderators) opt to ban or relocate the topics to a more suitable location (i.e off topic, since none of this is really about PoE).

It’s kind of POE adjacent since it is about a POE sub. But it does feel more about Reddit which is clearly OT.
"
Nubatron escreveu:
"
Northern_Ronin escreveu:
"
feral_nature escreveu:

It’s kind of POE adjacent since it is about a POE sub. But it does feel more about Reddit which is clearly OT.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the mods here can let these threads fly as long as they'd like, it's their ballpark, if they think it's currently fair play, or are just letting things sit since it's 'enough' on topic to warrent the space (or just can't be fussed to bother at the moment), it's all gravy. I know I wouldn't in my mod days, but I was a stickler who didn't allow fun. At this point, I'm just sitting back with the popcorn and watching the ship burn (the Reddit ship that is).
"
Azeltas escreveu:
"
hacp escreveu:
The sub shutdown is not temporary. It is made clear they will keep the sub private until reddit reverses their API changes, and reddit is not keen on doing this. The only solution is for Reddit to go in and start replacing all these corrupt mods. This is what I support.

Only solution is for Reddit to set reasonable API prices, not overpricing it by factor of 10-20x. Reddit also provided pricing information only 30 days ahead. Normal business practice is to provide such sweeping price changes at least 12 months ahead, so every app can reflect that in their business plans and subscriptions, code necessary changes to apps and have those changes reviewed by apps stores. 30 days is not enough for any of it, which is forcing these apps to shutdown.

Mods are not corrupt, they moderate content free of charge. Moderators provide over $100M worth of moderation work per year free of charge to Reddit. And now Reddit is forcing shutdown of tools they use to moderate content.

Besides moderators are owners of those subreddits, so they can and should protest against such predatory business practices. I support Reddit blackout, because it is fully justified.

reddits API prices are 10x of youtube pro access, but consider for reddit this is all of their data and 3rd parties can display it without any ad revenue going to reddit. For youtube this is just some meta data and when you play the videos youtube still gets their ad rolls.

So overall, the moderators demands are unreasonable, reddit is a company with money trouble while devs of for example Apollo got pretty rich from leeching.
"
taggedjc escreveu:
"
StinkStink escreveu:
They only care about themselves. Their profits. Their agenda.

This is why I think if they had any hint of love for this game or this community they should handover the sub to GGG.. but they won't.

The subreddit moderators are volunteers, so they do not have any "profits" and they were all regular members of the community before applying for their moderator roles.

The subreddit was created originally by Chris but he gave control of it over to the community rather than having it be run by GGG staff. It isn't that the moderators are refusing to "handover" the sub.

This post right here.

But despite that decision, Chris continued to use the PoE subreddit over his own official forum due to its convenience and upvote system ensuring GGG posts always remained visible without being stickied. As such that sub gained a rep pretty early as the place to be if you wanted to get GGG's attention. Bex reinforced this, because as the game's CM it made sense to use the platform now considered the primary one. Also the UI of this forum is hilariously bad.

So I am not surprised at how much this protest has affected Exiles who have taken the above for granted for this long. Just kinda funny to see how out of touch they are -- everyone else on reddit knew this was coming. All the major subs at least mentioned it. And of course look how personally Exiles are taking it. Truly emblematic of the relationship between chronic PoE usage and self-centred, me-first behaviour.

Handing over a sub to the devs would be disastrous. The whole point of reddit is to be community driven and maintained. Otherwise it turns into just another platform full of corporate messaging...oh and boy are these ignorant, myopic Exiles in for a shock when these proposed changes kick in and mods are left with fuck all tools to do their job...
The name says it all.
"
鬼殺し escreveu:
"
taggedjc escreveu:
"
StinkStink escreveu:
They only care about themselves. Their profits. Their agenda.

This is why I think if they had any hint of love for this game or this community they should handover the sub to GGG.. but they won't.

The subreddit moderators are volunteers, so they do not have any "profits" and they were all regular members of the community before applying for their moderator roles.

The subreddit was created originally by Chris but he gave control of it over to the community rather than having it be run by GGG staff. It isn't that the moderators are refusing to "handover" the sub.

This post right here.

But despite that decision, Chris continued to use the PoE subreddit over his own official forum due to its convenience and upvote system ensuring GGG posts always remained visible without being stickied. As such that sub gained a rep pretty early as the place to be if you wanted to get GGG's attention. Bex reinforced this, because as the game's CM it made sense to use the platform now considered the primary one. Also the UI of this forum is hilariously bad.

So I am not surprised at how much this protest has affected Exiles who have taken the above for granted for this long. Just kinda funny to see how out of touch they are -- everyone else on reddit knew this was coming. All the major subs at least mentioned it. And of course look how personally Exiles are taking it. Truly emblematic of the relationship between chronic PoE usage and self-centred, me-first behaviour.

Handing over a sub to the devs would be disastrous. The whole point of reddit is to be community driven and maintained. Otherwise it turns into just another platform full of corporate messaging...oh and boy are these ignorant, myopic Exiles in for a shock when these proposed changes kick in and mods are left with fuck all tools to do their job...

It should be noted, that its actually against Reddit ToS for a company to moderate a subreddit devoted to it/it's products.
They are punishing the users in order to make a point with their alledged abusers.

They hijacked a huge dataset of valuable information, much of which was provided by the very people they have now blocked.

If they want to be perceived more as caring about the community and less about defending their egos, they might want to rethink this strategy.
"
Tygerlilly escreveu:
They are punishing the users in order to make a point with their alledged abusers.

They hijacked a huge dataset of valuable information, much of which was provided by the very people they have now blocked.

If they want to be perceived more as caring about the community and less about defending their egos, they might want to rethink this strategy.

Protests are not clean and have collateral damage. Protests also occur when voices are not listened to.

They did not "Hijack" anything. They are the moderators. You had all the time in the world to volunteer to be one.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional