POE Reddit shutdown wipes decade+ of pointed discussion

It's good that reddit mods are protesting the stupid decisions from the Reddit admins. Collective action is good.

But let's be honest, something will give. Sooner rather than later. And I hate to say it, but it's more likely it'll be the mods. The subreddit will not be down forever, probably not even that long.

And besides, most information to be found on reddit can be found elsewhere too. Does make googling more annoying, since Google has basically ruined their search function so much that you need to append "reddit" to every search.
i never used poe reddit. forums and youtube is enough for me if i need information
Honestly, the POE reddit is nothing more than a toxic hive of shill accounts. The mod's banned anyone with constructive criticism or dissenting opinions about the game there within a matter of days of their last round of rule changes.

Even if they permanently put the lid on that sewer, nothing of value would be lost at all.

"
Pangaearocks escreveu:
"
sevens67 escreveu:
That is kind of the point, Reddit is getting greedy and trying to cash in on selling its trove of data to AI apps, while just shoving the ones who provided the data in the 1st place to the ground. I support taking the data down as long as needed. I can suffer as long as it takes to get a fair product, Reddit needs to rethink this one. There is a literal graveyard of social apps that got too greedy we may get to add reddit to the list.

Thanks for being a voice of sanity in here. So many "strange" reddit-related threads lately, and nobody seem capable of seeing the bigger picture.

This isn't sanity, this is nonsense. Why is it greedy for reddit to sell their product, but not greedy for 3rd party app developers demand continued free access to it in perpetuity?

Remember that when something is free YOU ARE THE PRODUCT. Everyone who has gone to reddit, including me, has agreed to be the product in the form of attention, clicks, eyeballs, data, metadata, etc. In exchange, we were given a place to read, comment, discuss, upvote, downvote, socialize and form communities completely free of monetary charge. That was the exchange. Based on who I've talked to I can agree and speculate that reddits price is probably too high, but that's a value judgement presupposing their goals. It may be priced just right for whatever it is they want to achieve.
"
Himrguy escreveu:
New player, I google things about the game often and 90% of the time get a link to an old reddit discussion that is a similar question, tons of discussion around what I'm trying to learn

reddit blackout straight up wipes over a decade of varied discussion about the game and its mechanics... To stand up for 3rd party apps ? Unrelated to the game in any form ?

There is already 2 other topics about reddit, why did you make a 3rd one?
Última edição por gageris em 16 de jun de 2023 02:03:47
"
"
StinkStink escreveu:
They only care about themselves. Their profits. Their agenda.

This is why I think if they had any hint of love for this game or this community they should handover the sub to GGG.. but they won't.

It should be noted, that its actually against Reddit ToS for a company to moderate a subreddit devoted to it/it's products.

Correct, which is why Chris had to give it up. Didn't stop him from fully utilising it though. Far too much imho but eh if GGG are masters of anything it's fully exploiting third party tools and resources. Which was smart when they were a scrappy indie bunch supported by whales but now they're neither of those, it all just looks a little unprofessional.

If only they'd followed through on the original promise of this purpose built forum as a trading platform in and of itself. Otoh I imagine people would have created their own tools to optimise that too.

Either way, few games of PoE's size are as affected by this blackout. Amusing that what is aimed to be a wake up call to Reddit's CEO et al. has this knock-on effect of maybe also shaking up how GGG manage and interact with their community.
The name says it all.
"
鬼殺し escreveu:
"
"
StinkStink escreveu:
They only care about themselves. Their profits. Their agenda.

This is why I think if they had any hint of love for this game or this community they should handover the sub to GGG.. but they won't.

It should be noted, that its actually against Reddit ToS for a company to moderate a subreddit devoted to it/it's products.

Correct, which is why Chris had to give it up. Didn't stop him from fully utilising it though. Far too much imho but eh if GGG are masters of anything it's fully exploiting third party tools and resources. Which was smart when they were a scrappy indie bunch supported by whales but now they're neither of those, it all just looks a little unprofessional.

If only they'd followed through on the original promise of this purpose built forum as a trading platform in and of itself. Otoh I imagine people would have created their own tools to optimise that too.

Either way, few games of PoE's size are as affected by this blackout. Amusing that what is aimed to be a wake up call to Reddit's CEO et al. has this knock-on effect of maybe also shaking up how GGG manage and interact with their community.

GGG is not a master of third party tools. At all. The users are. If anything, GGG has been anti-third party tools by limiting the amount of API calls which killed off early iterations of the unofficial trade sites/tools like Aquisition (Which uses the forum as a trading platform, bypassing the need for Premium stash tabs). This isnt exactly an "evil" decision, as that extra API usage increased costs for GGG as well as facilitating market manipulators.

Protests are never clean. There is always collateral damage. That is the point afterall, as protests only occur when voices are not listened to the first time.
Google should at least react and disable reddit search results while this childish tantrum is being thrown.
Not sure I understand what s going on,

so what I think is happening is that AI guys are stealing infos on the net and Reddit is a target and reddit decided to sell the infos instead of getting stolen and put a price on moderating tools because of it?

If this is the case why no one is complaining about the AI guys?

Forum pvp
"
[]

Proving my point. Insinuating that I am one of the people who made the decision to join the protest, just because I'm arguing against those who are making bad faith/uninformed posts (None of my posts have been specifically in favor of the reddit protest)

you only started posting on these forums to talk about the reddit drama so i'd thought i ask...
Última edição por Lyutsifer665 em 16 de jun de 2023 03:21:00

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional