POE Reddit shutdown wipes decade+ of pointed discussion

I don't think people fully understand the API changes. You will basically need to ask Elon for a loan every year to use it. 3rd party use of the API is basically over.

With how heavily r/pathofexile is moderated. It can not function without 3rd mod tools. With all the drama a few years ago with what people were saying on the subreddit and even the devs getting in on it. The moderation of the subreddit is above and beyond.

I just can't see the subreddit lasting once the API changes kick in.
"
mrrick1781 escreveu:
I don't think people fully understand the API changes. You will basically need to ask Elon for a loan every year to use it. 3rd party use of the API is basically over.

With how heavily r/pathofexile is moderated. It can not function without 3rd mod tools. With all the drama a few years ago with what people were saying on the subreddit and even the devs getting in on it. The moderation of the subreddit is above and beyond.

Except it's in reddit's best interest for sub-reddits to be well moderated. Reddit will allow or provide tools used for that purpose, that isn't really going to be an issue going forward. They just don't want users browsing from third party apps, some of which do stuff like disabling the ads.
"
Telzen escreveu:
"
mrrick1781 escreveu:

Except it's in reddit's best interest for sub-reddits to be well moderated. Reddit will allow or provide tools used for that purpose, that isn't really going to be an issue going forward. They just don't want users browsing from third party apps, some of which do stuff like disabling the ads.

Thats all fine and all, but the tools aren't there YET. People were only given 30 days notice. Thats a scummy move, which is part of the reason for the protest
"
mrrick1781 escreveu:

You are just parroting what the reddit mod faction told you to think.

its 20 cents for 1000 calls, you would pay like 2 dollars per month and you could have all the resources a reasonable user would need.

The apollo app guy said himself he would refund around 300000 to his customers. That preordered access to his app for the next months. This is all 100% money leeched from reddit via the free API that he abused to make his own commercial product.
"
mrrick1781 escreveu:

I don't think that you understand the API changes ...

Paying a fee for using a public API that scales with the number of requests is something pretty standard, and if some third party apps cannot be bothered to optimise their software to not keep sending spam-like requests (because past a certain load, that is pretty much what it is), then .... they are free to pay for it if they want to keep doing it.

"
mrrick1781 escreveu:

I read that reddit were looking into giving special access to some pieces of software such as moderation tools, talking to some major subreddit mods about it so ...

Plus, what do you know about those bots ? what data do you have ? on what do you base all of this ?

"
People were only given 30 days notice. Thats a scummy move, which is part of the reason for the protest

That however I can agree with, but this really isn't what the main anti-reddit propaganda is saying, at all.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Última edição por Fruz em 18 de jun de 2023 22:17:22
decade+ of outdated data... yeah so precious.... what a loss
"
Telzen escreveu:

They could also just develop a not pile of crap mobile app, then maybe people wouldn't have to resort to 3rd party ones.

Even the desktop site blows. I exclusively use old.reddit in the url and the day that becomes unavailable I'll never visit their sites again.
Última edição por krenderke em 19 de jun de 2023 08:56:18
"
krenderke escreveu:
"
Telzen escreveu:

Even the desktop site blows. I exclusively use old.reddit in the url and the day that becomes unavailable I'll never visit their sites again.

Truth.
The loop is closing. Google reported that a significant amount of their searches were "ABC reddit". So now google is bringing up reddit results which link to deadends. It's beautiful.
"
Himrguy escreveu:
New player, I google things about the game often and 90% of the time get a link to an old reddit discussion that is a similar question, tons of discussion around what I'm trying to learn

reddit blackout straight up wipes over a decade of varied discussion about the game and its mechanics... To stand up for 3rd party apps ? Unrelated to the game in any form ?

It's not remotely unrelated to the game. GGG uses Reddit as the backbone of their communication with their userbase, as can be seen by your post here - if GGG had decided to use inhouse resources and tools to communicate primarily the discussion you speak of would be primarily located here and in their control.

GGG relies on reddit, and reddit relies on free labor, which they are completely screwing over with these changes. Third party apps are not the only victims here, and many of those third party apps are used extensively to keep both PoE reddit and all other reddits actually functional.

"
hacp escreveu:
The sub shutdown is not temporary. It is made clear they will keep the sub private until reddit reverses their API changes, and reddit is not keen on doing this. The only solution is for Reddit to go in and start replacing all these corrupt mods. This is what I support.

There is nothing corrupt about the mods... you should really go and do some reading if this is what you believe. Reddit asked for an absolutely absurd amount of money in an impossibly short timeframe, and the changes simply do not affect only third party apps.

Very few, if any people involved in the development of these tools and apps decried Reddit monetising the platform and API - most expected it for years. Had the timeframes and pricing been actually reasonable (or even remotely doable), almost none of this backlash would have occurred, at all. Expecting developers and companies to turn around such changes in literally a month or just carry the cost in the interim (hundreds of thousands of dollars in the biggest cases) is disrespectful and unreasonable.

The absolutely best outcome of this fiasco would be for GGG to take on the role of actually managing their communications again on their own website, and leave reddit to reddit. This shows what can happen when your entire communication portal is maintained on an external platform, subject to external pressures. It might be easier, and it's certainly cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional