The key to understanding PoE may be that is it not made for the same players as Diablo 2

I would start by saying that this game probably isn't for everyone but for me its the greatest ever. I play roughly 6 hours a day since last February and I'm still in love with the game. Before you say I have no life your probably right but I drive a truck for a living to support my wife and kids. When I'm done with work for the day this game is all I have to entertain me and keep me from going crazy. You say its bad for life I strongly disagree with you on that but thats just my humble opinion. I play all week minus weekends when I'm home with my family. Ya for some people it could be bad for life but for me its a life saver and I will keep donating to GGG to keep this wonderful game around as long as it can.

P.S. I played d2 for roughly 10 years. I actually still played it until d3 came out. When that game bombed for me I found this game. For me it's everything if not more than I got out of d2. So you cant say "all" people don't get the same enjoyment out of this game
Última edição por Pfinch em 24 de jan de 2014 12:17:51
If you find a game to be "bad for life" and still play it, then that's indeed a sign that something's very wrong. Hint: it's you; not the game.

As someone who was still playing D2 a night before downloading PoE, I entirely disagree with the statement on the title.

A common argument seems to be that it requires a lot of time to have a godly character. So did in D2. It took me like 6 years to fully gear up my mfer (without ever using real money for in-game items), and "OMG, people who play 10x the time that I do have better gear" is hardly an argument against a game's quality.

If you want to have a godly character in 5 hours, donwload any other game where cheating is the standard, or where you can pay your way to victory.

I play this just as I played D2 on the early days. I've never been the kind who farms for the sake of it, and I'll never be. Playing is supposed to entertain you, not to bore you to death.
If you find yourself spending more time bitching about a game than actually playing it, perhaps it's time to try something else in life.

"
Pfinch escreveu:
I would start by saying that this game probably isn't for everyone but for me its the greatest ever. I play roughly 6 hours a day since last February and I'm still in love with the game. Before you say I have no life your probably right but I drive a truck for a living to support my wife and kids. When I'm done with work for the day this game is all I have to entertain me and keep me from going crazy. You say its bad for life I strongly disagree with you on that but thats just my humble opinion. I play all week minus weekends when I'm home with my family. Ya for some people it could be bad for life but for me its a life saver and I will keep donating to GGG to keep this wonderful game around as long as it can.

P.S. I played d2 for roughly 10 years. I actually still played it until d3 came out. When that game bombed for me I found this game. For me it's everything if not more than I got out of d2. So you cant say "all" people don't get the same enjoyment out of this game

I realize after reading this i may have come off like a complete jerk in just calling ppl nolifer because they want to play PoE.

I am one who loves to play PoE myself though :D

Interesting answers in this thread, the game is played more like D2 than i had assumed.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Feel free to call me crazy but I actually enjoy PoE more than I enjoyed D2: LoD.

There were quite a few items I never dropped in D2 in 7 years of playing. Death's web, Tyrael's Might, Death's Fathom, several of the very highest runes. Oddly enough I did drop a Zod once.

I think the biggest thing to enjoying the game is understanding that you aren't meant to find every single item. I know everyone wants to be #1 but the fact is you are very unlikely to be that lucky.

Understanding that you can beat the game in less than BiS items makes it sweeter when luck strikes and that godly item finally drops for you.

I am very content with where PoE is currently and there is room to grow which leads me to believe the future of the game is just as bright.

Will I be playing PoE in 7 years? It remains to be seen but all signs are pointing to "most likely."
Will I have found my very own Shav's or Kaom's etc.? I hope so but I'm not basing my fun on whether I have or not.
Sound the dread alarm, through the primal body! Sound the reveille, to be or not to be. Rise! Stay the grand finale! Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue. One drive to stay alive! Elementary, muster every fiber. Mobilize! Stay alive!
"
Sinnesteuer escreveu:
"
Galtrovan escreveu:
"
majesw escreveu:

Totally agree with this. Game is awesome. I play it almost exactly like I played Diablo 2.

I play PoE like I played D2... which is why I miss not being to find everything myself in PoE.

You had runes higher than Ber drop in D2?

You could make Enigma and BotD without engaging in trade?

Zod dropped for you?

Call me skeptical.

Just change "find everything" to "find most everything" if it suits you. I'm well aware runes above Ohm are damn near impossible to find and Tyrael's Might is practically impossible to find. But other than these "find everything" applies. And for what it's worth, with my decade of on/off playing of Diablo 2, yes, I found every rune at least once, and that was before the patch that added skill respecs and increased high-rune drops. Tyrael's Might on the other hand, never, ever found it. Every other unique and set item though, barring those that only dropped in D2:Lod version 1.08, yes I found every single one of them... several times over. I'd give away Tal Armors, Windforces, Grandfathers, during a ladder season without giving a crap. Of course one could argue, the latter 2 weren't all that useful once the overpowered rune words were added to the game in 1.10.

Edit... If you care, in the 1.10 ladder season I ran with Tiffa's Revenge. Tiffa won the ladder as I recall and several others were in the top 10. Me, I didn't care about the ladder. If did I could have been the 1st place Druid. But anyway, running with a party of 8, most ladder racers, where everyone shared the drops, ... items were plentiful, even the high-runes.
Última edição por Galtrovan em 24 de jan de 2014 12:51:26
Well maaaaybe if GGG stopped shoving D2 references down our throat then yeah I agree, this is not made for the D2 audience.

I haven't even played D2 but I've read about and it seems pretty much everything in this game seems to be a D2 reference, subtle or not.

I like PoE for the game it is not the game it's trying to be, thank you very much GGG, so stop trying to be D2 and just do your own thing.
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
Última edição por Kenzorz em 24 de jan de 2014 12:52:53
"
Galtrovan escreveu:

Just change "find everything" to "find most everything" if it suits you. I'm well aware runes above Ohm are damn near impossible to find and Tyrael's Might is practically impossible to find. But other than these "find everything" applies. And for what it's worth, with my decade of on/off playing of Diablo 2, yes, I found every rune at least once, and that was before the patch that added skill respecs and increased high-rune drops. Tyrael's Might on the other hand, never, ever found it. Every other unique and set item though, barring those that only dropped in D2:Lod version 1.08, yes I found every single one of them... several times over. I'd give away Tal Armors, Windforces, Grandfathers, during a ladder season without giving a crap. Of course one could argue, the latter 2 weren't all that useful once the overpowered rune words were added to the game in 1.10.

Edit... If you care, in the 1.10 ladder season I ran with Tiffa's Revenge. Tiffa won the ladder as I recall and several others were in the top 10. Me, I didn't care about the ladder. If did I could have been the 1st place Druid. But anyway, running with a party of 8, most ladder racers, where everyone shared the drops, ... items were plentiful, even the high-runes.

If you play this game for a decade you will drop everything.
"
majesw escreveu:
"
Galtrovan escreveu:

If you play this game for a decade you will drop everything.

Agree. I have already found kaoms shavs etc within half a year.

In d2 the actual drop rate even lower, it was bots that made it more easy to acquire anyway.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Diablo 2 was NOT designed around trading, that's why it was so good and that is what GGG and Blizzard do not understand. At their core Diablo and PoE are loot hunting games not trading games. Anyone who played Diablo, early Diablo 2, Darkstone, etc. knows this.
I think the biggest misconception is the belief that games are made for one specific group of players. Pretty much all games, D2 and PoE included, are multi-layered in their appeal, with different mechanics aimed at different type of players.

There were statistics, years back, that stated that most D2 players stopped playing beating Diablo (and later Baal) in normal mode. Only a minority progressed to NM and Hell. The same is undoubtedly true for PoE, as well. Both games support this "casual" approach. A new player, who does all quests, doesn't get boosted and solos, will take 20-30 hours to beat just normal mode. Yes, we all can do this much faster, but we here are not new players just starting out and looking to follow the story line.

Then there are the two higher difficulty modes with the aim to beat the game in merciless (same as beating D/B in Diablo 2's hell). That appeals to a much smaller group already, in both games, and is aimed at the less casual player, who is nevertheless determined and welcomes a challenge, but doesn't look for a game to play for years.

Finally, the third major layer is the "end game". In PoE, this can be different things, but mostly it's mapping and leveling past 80. In D2, it was leveling to 99 (also past 80) and PvPing, as well as item hunting. Hunting for top items that are not needed to actually beat the game in merciless is present in PoE, as well.

There are some optional aspects that players can use to fine-tune their experience, like HC, solo, self-found, trading (not as optional for end game, and neither was it in D2), grouping, ladders.

D2 and PoE are fundamentally following the same design principles and appeal to the same player groups, on different levels.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional