Never Ending Dungeon

gave this some more thought and came was stuck by an interesting idea.

everyone looks at the idea of a bottomless dungeon as scaling by what floor your on etc.

why not change this concept and scale it based on the time you are in the dungeon for...
or have a combination of the two.

so rather than going to the dungeon saying, i know i can get to lvl 60,100 w/e you are looking at it as last time by the time i got to lvl 60 it was too hard, so i know i have to work faster and or be stronger if i want to progress further.

this would help add to the decision making aobut continuing or bailing etc, becasue regardless of how far you are if you are progressing slowly the enemy forces are gathering to a point where it is no longer sensible to continue progressinign into their domain.

so you leave, the baddies go back to their day job and you can try and go again.

this might also allow for a cooldown effect on the dungeon to prevent farming. for instance:

i went in got to lvl 20 it took me an hour.

one you leave the dungeon the clock starts counting backwards (possibly at an increased rate). so if i got back in before it's back to 0, the enemy forces havent full dispersed and i will be starting at a disadvantage.
"
monkfish1234 escreveu:
gave this some more thought and came was stuck by an interesting idea.

everyone looks at the idea of a bottomless dungeon as scaling by what floor your on etc.

why not change this concept and scale it based on the time you are in the dungeon for...
or have a combination of the two.

so rather than going to the dungeon saying, i know i can get to lvl 60,100 w/e you are looking at it as last time by the time i got to lvl 60 it was too hard, so i know i have to work faster and or be stronger if i want to progress further.

this would help add to the decision making aobut continuing or bailing etc, becasue regardless of how far you are if you are progressing slowly the enemy forces are gathering to a point where it is no longer sensible to continue progressinign into their domain.

so you leave, the baddies go back to their day job and you can try and go again.

this might also allow for a cooldown effect on the dungeon to prevent farming. for instance:

i went in got to lvl 20 it took me an hour.

one you leave the dungeon the clock starts counting backwards (possibly at an increased rate). so if i got back in before it's back to 0, the enemy forces havent full dispersed and i will be starting at a disadvantage.

The problem I see with time being involved is with people camping at the entrance or something, you know how that goes.

I like the idea of continuing on later, if it gets too hard you can come back. You shouldn't get "kicked" until you die I think.

I despise cooldowns heh, if someone wants to jump back in at level 1 after just dying, I don't see a problem with that. I understand the point about farming but people are going to "farm" whever is fun and profitable. When you think about it, after death you'd be booted and you'd have to start back at level 1 and work your way back, lower level loot included. So, it would actually be work just getting back to where you were.

These GGG guys are pretty creative though, I'm sure they'd come up with all kinds of crazy cool stuff. ;)
“If freedom of [censored] is taken away, then [censored] and [censored] we may be led, like [censored] to the [censored].” - George Washington
Not sure about an endless dungeon... but something insanely deep would be cool - so you could say you got to the end of the dungeon - and then maybe it resets at another crazy level 1000 - everytime it resets it a fairly large number, but different. So sometimes its a little easier than other times.
Bad Idea , Endless Dungeons = Bad Graphics , Bad map layout , Bad Story and a very bitter tast left in my mouth . BooOOO@!
"
Gwar2005 escreveu:
Bad Idea , Endless Dungeons = Bad Graphics , Bad map layout , Bad Story and a very bitter tast left in my mouth . BooOOO@!

Completely wrong, PoE maps are designed to be as much random as possible, but they still have good looks and layouts.
Thus an endless dungeon in PoE should be implementable easily. Actually, maelstrom of chaos is already some sort of never ending dungeon, except that it ends.

Also, if you look at the new pyramid area, multi-level areas are already implemented.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Última edição por zriL em 24 de dez de 2011 07:25:36
"
zriL escreveu:
"
Gwar2005 escreveu:

Completely wrong, PoE maps are designed to be as much random as possible, but they still have good looks and layouts.
Thus an endless dungeon in PoE should be implementable easily. Actually, maelstrom of chaos is already some sort of never ending dungeon, except that it ends.

Also, if you look at the new pyramid area, multi-level areas are already implemented.

Exactly. It wouldn't take much coding to have everything increase a small percentage every level. The random levels already exist so it should be pretty easy to implement.
“If freedom of [censored] is taken away, then [censored] and [censored] we may be led, like [censored] to the [censored].” - George Washington
I love this idea for say you beat the game, and have no more quests to complete. So what do you do? run around to the areas you've already been to and explored? I understand the maps are randomly generated so it's different every time but I'm thinking how much replay this can offer. Even if you get to max level you can test your character to see just how far in the endless dungeon you can go!
I agree with neverending one. Much like roguelike games, that have seeded Diablos, Torchligh and all the rest in that matter.
"
Rippster escreveu:
I believe that Torchlight had one of these and although I didn't really like Torchlight, I thought it was a great idea. The deeper you go, the tougher the mobs and better loot. If you die, your dungeon run ends. You could keep track of who has made it the deepest, kind of like a ladder. This feature would obviously add a lot of replay value too.

This idea might have been brought up already but didn't see it in the search. At any rate, it's probably already been tossed around, perhaps we'll see this feature in the future.

Torchlight took that idea from Fate, which both are created by the same person/company-ish. So imo it's not really something new for me per say(sorry for being a bit off-topic).

But yeah like the other say listen to chris on the podcast and go to the new pyramid area :)
Sweeping Maid
I can just nod and completely agree to this.
You can find me on the Quakenet if you use logical reasoning.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional