What happened to poe Reddit?

"
mikkojh escreveu:
Whatnot with the api thing that I quess allows reddit moderators to moderate subreddit better? No idea what's the deal with that but if it's that hard to moderate reddits without third party api's then just quit being a mod instead of doing some batshit insane blackout.

To inform you on the subject;

Reddit's base layout does not play well with a lot of other applications (phones, etc), and has few built in anaytics (as such, it's hard for moderators to tell how frequently people post, view, etc).

To fill that gap, people have built third party programs to fill these various needs, either changing the viewer layouts, combing the website for relevent information, and tracking various elements of a particular sub-reddit. These programs (as is their nature) make many requests to the Reddit pages that puts additional data burden on the sites servers. Reddit is changing a long standing open door policy on these programs so that any of them which access their server must do so at a cost, more or less requiring each program to pay a fee each time they access the site.

This means these programs cannot run for free, someone will have to pay whatever toll Reddit puts on them for them to function. This will require small communities to pay several hundred dollars a month to support these, or live without the tools they use to view or moderate their threads, while larger ones are looking at prices in the millions per year (the largest estimated they'd have to pay up to $20 million to Reddit to operate for one year at their current capacity).

This means all third party software for the site MUST go to a paid model (and a well paid one) rather than being able to operate for free as a hobby (or with limited funding via Patreon to cover the cost of creating the app, but not to maintain it).
I don't care about the reddit APIs.

If you don't like their actions, stop using their product. Blocking others from doing so is not your privilege.

The content on the POE reddit is made by the users, and is not owned by the moderators/admin.

The folks unilaterally deciding to block us from accessing it are clearly wrong in their action and should not be allowed to continue in their positions.

This hurts POE and the POE community.

There are subreddits specifically devoted to commentary about reddit. That is the proper place for this action.
"
Dreyloc escreveu:
I don't care about the reddit APIs.

If you don't like their actions, stop using their product. Blocking others from doing so is not your privilege.

The content on the POE reddit is made by the users, and is not owned by the moderators/admin.

The folks unilaterally deciding to block us from accessing it are clearly wrong in their action and should not be allowed to continue in their positions.

This hurts POE and the POE community.

There are subreddits specifically devoted to commentary about reddit. That is the proper place for this action.

Agreed! I'm praying the end result of all this is the current batch of corrupt mods on ALL the private subreddits are removed and replaced by competent people who don't have a power trip.
Has GGG ever said they were gonna make their api paid? I can't agree with something that's not happened.

To me as a software developer, the more we have free access to api's the better, cause free is always good and more free data to play around is nice to have.

If GGG would make their api paid (don't know if it is, never used it), then yea stuff like poe.ninja might fall out of existence and that would suck but hey that's life. It would suck but I wouldn't go around organizing some weird blackouts.

EDIT: Sorry for the up your nose answer, but that was kinda misleading question. It's up to companys discretion on if the api is free or not, they're gonna be that ones dealing with the fallout regarding that. We as the community will always find a way, if poe.ninja would not exist, then heck let's go oldschool and go back to arguing about meta builds on forums.

Same with the poe subreddit, if it goes down. There's always other ways, heck I never used the poe forum this much in my life as I'm now
Última edição por mikkojh em 15 de jun de 2023 10:09:42
"
mikkojh escreveu:
Has GGG ever said they were gonna make their api paid? I can't agree with something that's not happened.

To me as a software developer, the more we have free access to api's the better, cause free is always good and more free data to play around is nice to have.

If GGG would make their api paid (don't know if it is, never used it), then yea stuff like poe.ninja might fall out of existence and that would suck but hey that's life. It would suck but I wouldn't go around organizing some weird blackouts.

GGG's API is already rate limited, which is exactly what reddit is doing (rate limit of 100 requests/min. Reddit is just adding an option to remove that rate limit at a cost.
Good riddance!

Best thing to ever happen to this game and this community will be the permanent closure of that cesspool. Or better yet, them handing it over to GGG.
Agreed! Kalandra league was so fun though with all em peeps crying. I put gamer tears in my morning coffee.

All kidding aside, yea maybe it's just better to gtfo reddit. The upvoting what else system there is kinda fucked nowadays. Whole platform is. Best of luck for the mods and whonot with this shit. That thing really is a cesspool, just look at D4 for subreddit now.

I shall congregate in poe forums nowadays.

Sincerely,
Mikko
inb4 back in reddit bois
"
mikkojh escreveu:
Agreed! Kalandra league was so fun though with all em peeps crying. I put gamer tears in my morning coffee.

All kidding aside, yea maybe it's just better to gtfo reddit. The upvoting what else system there is kinda fucked nowadays. Whole platform is. Best of luck for the mods and whonot with this shit. That thing really is a cesspool, just look at D4 for subreddit now.

I shall congregate in poe forums nowadays.

Sincerely,
Mikko

you are being needlessly negative
Having a company in control of a subreddit devoted to the brand/one of their products is against the point of Reddit, and is in fact against the terms of service of Reddit. GGG can not, and should not, ever have control of the subreddit.

Reportar Post do Fórum

Reportar Conta:

Tipo de Reporte

Informação Adicional